Where is the best dive site in The Whitsundays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benski83

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, Scubaboard newbie here. I was just wondering if anyone out there could recommend any sweet, must-see sites in The Whitsundays group of islands?
Some friends and I will be chartering our own yacht for a week at the end of January so we have the luxury of choosing our own moorings and such. Any other advice you may have about the area would be greatly appreciated also.

Benski

Hi Benski,

Not sure if you have gone already... but i was wondering whether you ever found out any information... Sorry, nobody replied... I'd love to hear what you found out! Did you here about any good dive operators on the island?

I'm also interested in the Whitsundays if anyone has any information. Sounds like you had a great opportunity choosing your own spots.

Neda,

I got this email a couple of days ago after emailing a diving website coordination place...

"There are no dive boats here in the Whitsundays at the moment - DAY DIVE
BOATS. You can, however, go out on a boat for a day and perhaps do 1 or 2
dives but you would also have to do the obligatory Whitehaven beach, Barbie
and snorkelling as that is what these boats do.

They are all roughly the same price $130 pp with the diving extra, varies
from $60 to $70 a dive, all gear inclusive."

Since then i've decided to stick with Port Douglas. I'm not a huge fan of the all inclusive which i don't need... If you want the person-who-emailed-me's contact info... let me know!

Hope that helps...

I've never been to the Whitsundays especially to go diving, but have sailed around the islands and for snorkelling, I can't say I have any complaints about anywhere. Pretty much everywhere I went had something worth checking out.
The 'real' dive sites, such as the ones you seen in the catalogues and online are mostly at the outer reef, which you probably won't have access to in a rented yacht (it's too far out for their liking).
On my website I have a few files with GPS locations of various points of interest. There's one with dive sites on the east coast of Australia, which you might find useful.
These points came from places I've snorkelled, recommendations from other people and off the net (so no guarantees that they're good!). It might be a starting point.

The address is Simon Yachting - YA/RYA Skipper

Hope it helps!

- Simon

If you're into cruising too, it would definitely be worth getting your hands on a copy of '100 Magic Miles' by David Colfelt. This book is regarded as 'The Bible' as far as cruising the Whitsundays goes. Lots of useful information.
Lots of information for diving and fishing, but more relevent to cruising.

100 Magic Miles ~ The Whitsunday Islands

I spent a week at Heron Island, southern most part, had reasonably good diving. Went to Hayman Island, just next door to Hamilton Island, and the dive was awful, as has already been said the real dives are from live aboards on the outer reef, even day trips out of Port Douglas are pretty ordinary.

Hey JB, we were planning on going to Hayman island but are having second thoughts based on your post. Would you be able to elaborate on your experience?

Hi reaver,
I just had one dive there, and it was round the corner at the snorkel beach!! Asked them about a better site, and they were talking whole day trip to the reef, or helicopter to the reef. I would suggest you pin them down as to what dives are available and where. It was a pretty dismal experience for me. Lots of hype and attitude and little substance, that applies to the whole establishment, not just the diving.
Hope you have a better experience.

I'm also interested in the Whitsundays if anyone has any information.

Diving in the islands themselves isn't all that good because of sediment in the water that is stirred up by the strong tides in this area. Mediocre visibility can be expected most of the time and in the spring time, when tidal ranges are large, visibility can be quite poor. Sediment around the islands smothers the coral life in the islands and prevents it from thriving like on the outer reef.

There are, however, good dive sites in the Whitsundays if you know where to look. The northern side of Hook Island has some great diving and snorkelling because it is exposed to the clear waters of a flooding tide and somewhat sheltered from the northerly flowing ebb tide which brings sediment from around the islands with it.

For a guide to all the best dive spots around the area, visit the 100 Magic Miles website, where there is a diving section outlining top sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom