Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you own a Vytec, how do you like it? Have any problem with the hoseless transmission? Is it hard to read under water? Somehow the absence of a N2 loading bar graph bothers me. In Nitrox mode, according to the demo, the rising bars indicate O2 limit fraction and you don't have a bar graph for N2 loading, is that correct?

Elaine

There are no problems reading the large display underwater, and I have not experienced problems with the AI transmission, including inside of shipwrecks. However another user on ScubaBoard has reported issues - not sure which thread, but if you do a search on Vytec you should find lots of postings.

Presumably the designers figured that the NDL in minutes would suffice instead of a N loading graph.

I have to agree with scubaroo.Mine is very easy to read underwater.Its not overly big like a lot of wrist computers. The air integration system on mine has worked great and i have yet to lose a signal.I am also equipped with a SPG on my left waist d-ring if i were to lose transmission for some reason.I often compare the two and are really close to being dead on.Definitely a great AI wrist computer:D

I've got a Vytec as well and have no complaints with it. I used it for some penetration wreck diving last week with no transmission problems whatsoever. And on the same topic, although the charter boat was relatively small, once I activated the transmitter, I didn't lose signal lock anywhere on the boat. Also, the unit is a good size and I've had no trouble reading the display in any conditions (night, low viz).

For the N2 loading graph which is prevalent on a lot of computers that you're obviously familiar with, Suunto obviously went a different route. As Scubaroo mentioned above, the NDL tells you how much time you have available during your dives, so if you keep yourself out of deco, that should be enough to keep you from getting bent (hopefully!). One additional indicator the CPU gives you regarding Nitrogen loading is that during your surface interval, an "alert" symbol will flash until the computer thinks you're ok to perform another dive. Not to mention "Planning" mode.

I lost my signal for about 1 min once before we hit the water. Not sure what the deal was. But, during diving, no problems.

In Nitrox mode you see the Oxygen loading graph on the left. If you push the TIME button you get the alternate display which shows the Consumed Bottom Time graph on the left.

DolphinDiver once bubbled...
I lost my signal for about 1 min once before we hit the water. Not sure what the deal was. But, during diving, no problems.

In Nitrox mode you see the Oxygen loading graph on the left. If you push the TIME button you get the alternate display which shows the Consumed Bottom Time graph on the left.

I thought i had lost signal once when walking to the water on my second dive.Once i entered the water and the pressure in the tank changed it popped right back up.Heres the reason why on page 15 of the manual

NOTE: In order to save battery energy the transmitter shuts off if the pressure remains unchanged for more than 5 minutes and it will continue transmitting with the saved code when any pressure change is measured. The code number is changed if pressure is less than 10bar [145psi] at shut off.

So basically it goes into like a sleep mode if the presuure goes unchanged for 5 minutes and goes back to normal once the pressure changes.

is how my Vytec is set up. Nice big numbers, all the info I need right there on my wrist, including back gas pressure. The replaceable scratch protector on the front is a nice feature to have. I have no complaints with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom