Spearfishing with a pneumatic speargun effectively & ALWAYS time your snorkel blast..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_tx

Registered
Reaction score
When I first purchase my pneumatic spear gun the instructions was limited at best. I searched the internet and try to find out more information on how to setup & use a pneumatic speargun. Long story short, I put together information on how to setup your speargun, load it & ALWAYS time your snorkel blow/blast when surfacing.

#1 link shows you how to modify an Mares Sten mini-mini 16.5"(41cm) pneumatic speargun. Once you have modify your Mares speargun sheath holder/holster, all you will need to do is replace the traditional-rubber-straps with SNAKEstrap and you can carry your speargun on your THIGH!!! Speargun MOD

#2 link, shows you how to ALWAYS time your snorkel blow/blast when surfacing. Most people should know the answer to part#1. The Part#2 answer [Solution to issue#2] is the trick that most people over look. Snorkel Riddle

SNAKEstrap is a versatile upper thigh holster for a dedicated big scuba dive knife, pneumatic speargun with sheath holder/holster. You can also do combination of the latter and small to mid size dive knife. All you have to do is replace this traditional rubber straps with this holster and you can carry the above items on your thigh.
(There is underwater video clips of the holster in action at the site or you can visit youtube at the below link)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SNAKEstrap

Attachments

• WSPSDKSss.jpeg
    WSPSDKSss.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 6,142
Last edited:
Great info Alex !! I just got a technisub ranger with holster, did get a pump for it, I am looking forward to using it, Your site was very helpful Thank you

David

Thank you Dave,
I like the Twister Shockcord section; it is practical shock cord that can be setup on most, if not all spearguns.
I looked up the technisub ranger on the net and I could not find a picture that had one with sheath holster. What is the length of this speargun? Also, if you do not mind, could you take a few pictures of the speargun sheath holster both front and back and email it to me or post it here? I am curious on how this sheath holster is designed. I found a picture of the technisub ranger speargun at the below link and it looks powerful.
Spearguns, Technisub Ranger, www.skindivinghistory.com

Last edited:
Hi Alex, my gun is shorter than the one in the photo there are 16 rib indents on the stock , mine has seven. the total lth of mine is 16 inchs, the shaft lth is 15", but the looks are the same i try to get a picture to you of the sheath

David

Dan at the Santa Clara Wet Pleasure dive shop set mine up and gave instructions on use. It now has a SS shaft and spinner speartip. I use 3 wraps of 1.75mm Spectra with no rubber.

I have never used my sheath. It is too dangerous when freediving NorCal kelp.

I tend to spit my snorkel out when freediving. If there is overhead chop or surfacing in kelp, I will keep it in my mouth. I have never given it much thought on timing. I have been using a snorkel since about 5 years old in the swimming pool.

I have a longer Mares pneumatic with an Omer match reel and a Mares carbon Phantom with reel.

Attachments

• SnubNose1.jpg
    SnubNose1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4,284
Thank you Dave for that info.

cmburch,
could you post a picture of your speargun sheath holder/holster both front and back here? Also if possible a picture of the speargun in the holster? I only seen a few pictures of spearguns with holsters online & the different design of speargun holsters interests me.

As for setting up your speargun, seeing different methods from different sources is a good thing, that is when you decide which setup is best for your speargun.

Last edited:
In the picture of my pneumatic, I have my flashlight strapped to my barrel. I also have an REI mini camera tripod that will strap on with velcro. I have to get some soft rubber or silicon sheet to prevent it from shifting/rotating on the barrel though.

The REI mini camera tripod you bought is this image below, if I am correct. So, if you put your camera on it w/a soft rubber or silicon sheet, this type of setup could be stationary to do video clips. I am willing to try out this setup. Thank you for your recommendation cmburch.
1414780.jpg

Those little guns are really cute!

But seriously, what do you shoot with a 50cm speargun?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom