Where is your money going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems to me that every time you want to learn a new skill in diving or want to go just a little deeper you have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to a training agency.
i just paid $120 for a nitrox course that is really a 15 minutes quiz, paper and pencil.

is it just me or are the cert agencies just stealing our money

Some classes are expensive because they require several days or weeks, equipment, gasses, etc.
Some are expensive just because they can get away with overcharging. I strongly urge you to dive, then dive some more. Find more experienced dive buddies who can show you a thing or two along the way. When you're ready to move onto another type of diving, then consider the classes. I've seen way too many divers take one class after another, spending thousands of dollars to reach a goal and still have fewer than 100 dives. Most people don't even have control of their buoyancy until a few hundred dives. Unless you plan to teach, work on a boat or map cave systems, go out and have as much fun diving as you can first.

It seems to me that every time you want to learn a new skill in diving or want to go just a little deeper you have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to a training agency.
i just paid $120 for a nitrox course that is really a 15 minutes quiz, paper and pencil.

Consider you got a deal, its $150 by me.

But since I buy most of my gear online, throwing the LDS a few bucks for training is ok by me

That's about $50 more than I charge for a nitrox course.

the K

Why do you think that? Training isnt mandatory, many things can be self-taught or mentored.

So find someone cheaper or just teach yourself. Nobody is forcing you to pay money for that.

Well, you CAN teach yourself, but there are dive shops which demand to see a Nitrox certification card before they'll fill a tank with EAN for ya.

the K

It's just you. Nice first post, welcome to BoobaScored. :eyebrow:

What annoyed me about my nitrox course was not the $100, or whatever it was, but the two dives in the Coral Sea that were wasted swimming around breathing nitrox, as if I had to experience that with an instructor. By the time you fly to Australia and pay for a liveaboard, each dive is getting kind of pricy. Of course, there's an easy answer--don't take your courses on expensive vacations.

Most agencies now have seen sanity and removed the mandatory dives from a nitrox course.

I have never dove Nitrox nor have I been trained, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once! Seriously, I have never been Nitrox certified but $125 does seem reasonable to me. I pay a guy $85 a month just to mow my lawn!

Back
Top Bottom