Should I get DM cert (for fun), or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hit a similar point with my diving and decided against the DM cert. As others have said, it will refine the basic skills you already have, but won't teach you much new. I didn't want the additional responsibility and potentially liability, whether real or assumes, that went along with any professional certification. Instead I went the technical route, including a cavern course. While I don't do much diving that is considered "technical", the skills I picked up with those courses made me a better, more aware diver.

Make sure to maintain insurance if you become a dm as you have an increased responsibility for the divers around you
Can you cite a case where that has happened?

A better and deeper knowledge is always advantageous.
This idea actually runs counter to accepted instructional theory. It all relates to interference theory. In a quick nutshell, the idea is that the time and effort spent learning things you do not need to know for a specific purpose interferes with your ability remember the things you do need to know.

A good framework of instructional design is Understanding by Design. Simply put, you focus the course on the essential learnings in a way that guarantees students will get that fully. Secondary importance is given to items that are good to know but not essential, and least importance is given to items that are nice to know. Items that students do not need to know are eliminated as much as possible because learning those things interferes with their ability to learn and remember the things that are essential and the things that are good to know.

For example, in a typical OW class today, students learn the effects of changing depths on gas density and buoyancy, and they learn how that impacts the body's on-gassing and off-gassing. They don't learn that these concepts are named Boyle's Law and Henry's Law, and they don't learn the history of the discovery of those laws. They learn that 33 feet/10 meters of sea water equals one atmosphere of pressure, but they do not learn that it was Pascal who discovered that.

I became a DM to help out with my club and although it certainly helped with my demonstration skills it did not really improve my dive skills. What did improve my skills and really tested me was the Advanced Nitrox Decompression course with TDI from a very experienced instructor. It really pushed me like no other dive course did and made a significant difference to my diving..

I became a DM to help out with my club and although it certainly helped with my demonstration skills it did not really improve my dive skills. What did improve my skills and really tested me was the Advanced Nitrox Decompression course with TDI from a very experienced instructor. It really pushed me like no other dive course did and made a significant difference to my diving..
Yes, I've read that all the deep/tech. courses improve your diving. I assume because you have more things to do and to worry about down there. As far as a "normal" recreational diver (like me), your basic skills (buoyancy, kicking, etc.) should be about as good as they'll ever be before you sign up for a DM course.

Make sure to maintain insurance if you become a dm as you have an increased responsibility for the divers around you

Can you cite a case where that has happened?
I agree with John on this....

My opinion is that a DM does not have any increased liability simply because he/she is in the water with other divers around them......unless the DM is clearly "assigned" that responsibility.

To the OP...... I agree that a cavern course would be a positive step forward.

I also think that the SDI / TDI Solo Diver course would be a very positive and proactive step towards your continuing education and pursuit to be a better diver....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom