New Diver--Washington DC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm a new diver from Washington DC. I received my open water diver and dry suit diver certifications simultaneously the last weekend of January, which just so happened to be my 30th birthday weekend!

This Month I also obtained my Nitrox cert, as well as my Advanced open Water diver cert, which I actually just came back from this past weekend.

I'm a brand new diver and so far every single open water dive I've completed has been in sub 50 degree F water in a dry suit! I grew up with an unheated swimming pool in the suburbs of NYC and I went to college in Upstate New York, which acclimated me to frigid conditions. I actually swam in the Chesapeake bay in my bathing suit the last weekend of October, when the water temperature was about 55 degrees F (and yes, I know better than to do that again).

I seem to have all of the most important certifications, and I want to hold off on rescue diver until I have more experience under my belt, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next in the hobby. My primary interest is probably in cold water diving, but I'm open to any and all forms of non-technical diving.

One of the aspects of the hobby that attracted me the most were the potential networking opportunities. I work almost entirely remotely and I'm not originally from the DC area, so I've had to really put myself out there to meet new people and make friends. During my dive orientation the instructor told me that she almost never had a predetermined buddy before her dive trips, and has always been able to pair up with someone while on a trip, which sounds incredible.

My LDS runs a Monthly happy hour and book club, which i hope to get involved in. Otherwise, I'm not one hundred percent sure where to go from here but I'm happy to be a new member of the community!

Welcome!

Welcome. I got my drysut cert in the DC area in 2000 in a pond out near Front Royale. An interesting experience and a very damp one as the drysuit did not fit properly. The dive was scheduled early, a scout troop was getting certified the same day and my instructor wanted us gone before they drove visibility down to nothing.

Not having a predetermined buddy can be wonderful if you get a good one. My experience with that is mixed but generally good. I was lucky as a new diver I had more experienced divers willing to pair up with me in many cases. You might check the greater metro area for dive clubs. Many of the people I met and went diving with were from local clubs.

Welcome and congratulations! If you are ever in the Richmond area and need a buddy for Lake Phoenix, let me know.

While on dive trips it's always fun to meet and get paired with people. I would look into the rescue diver and the solo diver course for skill improvements that may come in handy with unknown dive buddies.

Welcome to the DMV, where there are lots of dive shops and not a lot of diving. Which shop are you currently frequenting? Most of the shops in norther VA have scheduled pool time where you can keep your skill fresh and meet other like minded folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom