Dive planning suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friend and I are going to a 50 ft deep pool on Saturday (the LDS has rented it for the afternoon). It has three levels, at around 15ft, 35ft and the bottom at 50ft (it's actually 5m, 10m and 15m but close enough), and I've heard that practicing skills is restricted to the top level. We've been out of the water for a little while and would like to do a few skills first, but we'd also like to go down to the bottom just because we can. I remember reading somewhere in my OW book to start at your deepest depth then work your way shallower if you're going to be changing depths, but what I just said we'd want to do would be more like a weird check-mark shape... starting at 15ft for a few mins then down to 50 for a bit, then up to the next level for a bit, then up to 15 again for another while then up to the surface.

So here's the question: Is there anything massively wrong with this? Assuming you have only one dive at this pool, how would you plan it and what skills should we absolutely not forget to practice? (we've got some in mind, but just in case we haven't thought of something). Whatever way we do it, for sake of ndl's, it's a 50ft square profile, since I expect that's longer than my gas will last anyway.

Thanks.

Cookie,

Sounds like a great pool. Is it warm?

As to your question, first tell me what the plan is for the day. How many dives? What suface intervals?

You could try searching the SB threads on terms like "reverse profile" and "shallow-then-deep". This has been discussed before, although I've not seen it in this context (confined water). I expect you'll get more than a few replies in this thread.

-Bryan

it's supposed to be around 80 degrees, maybe a little warmer. My understanding is that it's one dive (possibly 2, but i seriously doubt it). As for the uniqueness of the situation the pool's website claims it's unique in north america.

starting at 15ft for a few mins then down to 50 for a bit, then up to the next level for a bit, then up to 15 again for another while then up to the surface.
I have done a version of this profile hundreds of times--it's a typical multi-level reef dive. Do slow ascents and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like a cool pool.

I've done some searches and haven't found much about shallow then deep in a single dive, so I'm hoping for a few more responses here. I'm encouraged by vladimir's response but wondering if anybody else has opinions on this (if you agree with him, say so)

There is nothing wrong with that profile. You could even start shallow go to the deep end, then ascend back up through the shallow sections. Or just go shallow to deep, then ascend from the deep end and practice a mid water safety stop.

You're not doing anything dangerous, and it sounds like a pretty sweet pool!

There is nothing in your dive plan profile that is any cause for alarm. You stated that you were planning it as a square profile 50 dive, i.e. you are planning like you are spending all of your time at 50'. All the shallow time periods do is add a buffer to your NDL & shorten the planned time at depth (~60minutes, but I am going from memory).

The section you remember about doing the deepest part of your dive first is probably a reference to repetitive dives; the reason I say that is because current practice is to include a three minute safety stop at 15', so the dive from deep to shallow profile is already addressed. With reference to repetitive dives, a typical pattern is to dive the deepest on the first dive and equal to or shallower depths on subsequent dives. There is some argument whether "reverse profiling" (diving shallow first, deeper next) is bad for you (or not), but if you run a plan for a series of dives that is reverse profile, you will have a shorter bottom time than the standard profile.

Regarding drills, the most important IMHO is before you hit the water, doing a thorough buddy check. Mask drills and OOA scenarios are always good to stay fresh on. Buoyancy and good buddy protocol should be followed throughout the dive.

One final drill, and this is mandatory: HAVE FUN!

I have done a version of this profile hundreds of times--it's a typical multi-level reef dive. Do slow ascents and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like a cool pool.

I agree. Just keep in mind the slow ascent. It's good practice on every dive. Have fun!

I've done some searches and haven't found much about shallow then deep in a single dive, so I'm hoping for a few more responses here. I'm encouraged by vladimir's response but wondering if anybody else has opinions on this (if you agree with him, say so)

Just chiming in with more support. You are describing a profile that shore divers are doing all over the world, since scuba first started. No problem.

What you may be thinking about is:

1. For multiple dives, make the 1st one the deepest.
2. During any dive, try to avoid "saw tooth" profiles, i.e., shallow, deep, shallow, deep, etc.

Now go have fun!

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom