PDA

View Full Version : Grilled hog fish? Anyone tried it?

Firediver32
March 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
To start I am new to spear fishing (not to diving). I will only shoot what I'll eat, and am kind of picky. I like hog fish, so thats what I plan on hunting for now. Has any one tried grilling it? any recipies/tips? Thanks.

Dan

zak87
March 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
i have also just started spearfishing and hogs a my fav so far all thow i do not have any recipies i happend to make good friends with my dive instrctor and he afton takes hogs so ill ask him tomarrow and let you know

zak jessen

Walter
March 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hogfish are the best!

Intense Blue
March 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have been spearfishing for years and have shot and cooked hundreds of hogs. Grilled is the way to go but honestly you can cook hogfish anyway you like and it still comes out good. Here are two to try out. If you have a cast iron skillet it really helps. Throw the skillet on the grill for 5-8 minutes ... let it get about 250 -300 degrees. Coat one side of the hogfish with melted butter by brushing it on, then put one light coat of garlic powder followed by a good coat of creole seasoning. Put it seasoning down on the hot skillet for 5 minutes ,then flip over on the grill (off the skillet) for 5-7 minutes untill cooked.... Another favorite is to take the fillets, wrap them in tin foil leaving room to put in a half cup of high quality white wine mutiple types of pepers, minced garlic and 5 or 6 lemon wedges along with what ever other spices you might like, but don't go too crazy. Hope this helps

Johnoly
March 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hog is very tasty. I like to keep it simple and put it on the grill. I also don't like Alum-foil since I like the grilled taste. I use fish racks, or cheap baking cooling wire racks.

Take the hog filets, spray both sides with PAM oil spray
Sprinkle both sides lightly with pepper, garlic salt and popcorn butter salt.
Sandwich the filets between 2 cooling wire racks and put on a medium hot grill
Cook 4 minutes per side, flipping the racks on the grill
Remove from grill and pull off cooling racks to plates
Serve immediately while hot.

Every easy cleanup and quick to prepare.

captron
March 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hog for breakfast, grits + egg + Hog
fish for breakfast id doesn't get much better

udtfire
March 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
hog fish anything that tasty should not be that stupid it should not be shootin fish in a barrel it should be like shooting hog fish

little lemon butter and heat and you got a meal

Roadtrip
March 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
My favorite recipe and fish period. douse your hog fish fillets with a little lime juice and cilantro.....not long however. Grill on med/low heat and when you flip the fillets, top them with mango salsa. cook till finished and serve over saffron rice with black beans on the side.
A glass of good Pinot Grigio will complete.

Extreme-Dive-Drew
March 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
You guys are making me hungry. I too have been spearing for years and cooked plenty of hogs. I just never get tired of that white, flaky meat-it's as close to shellfish as you can get. Grilling is a great way to cook them. Put just a dash of garlic salt and crushed red pepper on the filets before grilling. Then as soon as it comes off the grill, while it is still hot, brush it with butter...Frigging DEVINE!!!

Drew
Extreme Dive Adventures Welcome To Extreme Dive Adventures Inc. (http://www.extremediveadventures.com)

LunkerBuster
March 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
i love hogfish and my favorite method for cooking it is to gut and scale it and then brish the outside with liberal amounts of olive oil and garlic. then I stuff the inside cavity with fresh rosemary and basil, more garlic and then jam a few lemon chunks (thicker the better as it holds the meat apart and lets the heat get inside)

delicious

crbbndiver
April 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hey Firediver32! Great choice on the hogfish! I cook mine on the grill. I take the filets and dip them in egg. From there toss them in crushed crackers (or cereal or breadcrumbs, or whatever you want). I have a piece of tin foil that I fold up about 1/2" of the sides. I pour a little olive oil on the foil and spread it around. Once the filets are covered in crackers, place them on the tin foil. Cook on the grill at 5 min per side (a little more if the filets are big, from a Hogfish that is say 20" or bigger). When you think it's done, take a fork and twist it in the fish. The filets should be flaky. If you want it a little different, spread shredded parmesean on about a minute before taking off the grill. Enjoy!

ozzydamo
April 23rd, 2011, 12:31 AM
i love hogfish and my favorite method for cooking it is to gut and scale it and then brish the outside with liberal amounts of olive oil and garlic. then I stuff the inside cavity with fresh rosemary and basil, more garlic and then jam a few lemon chunks (thicker the better as it holds the meat apart and lets the heat get inside)

delicious

Add salt and crack black pepper to your recipe, then grill it on an olive wood fire(the smoke tastes special) in a fish cage type grille, basting it off the heat when you turn it over- Eat with- vino, crusty bread and some simple salad, simply magic, Adriatic style! Works good on Red snapper and Silver bream also.

amermaid
May 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
To start I am new to spear fishing (not to diving). I will only shoot what I'll eat, and am kind of picky. I like hog fish, so thats what I plan on hunting for now. Has any one tried grilling it? any recipies/tips? Thanks.

Dan

Hog Fish (http://www.fishmarketfridays.com/Recipes/Hog%20Fish/hog_fish.htm) is a site with some fancy ideas. Hog fish is good just wrapped in foil, with a little butter, salt/pepper and/or simple things like garlic.

Ursus
May 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
After the first time I ate hogfish at a local restaraunt in the Keys I went out and bought a speargun. I was told that then don't take hooks. Perhaps this is their saving grace because for something that tastes this good they are amazingly dumb. I believe the last such species that tasted good and was dumb became extinct pretty quick...think Dodo bird.

crbbndiver
May 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hey Firediver32! Grilled is the way to go! I dip the fish in instant mashed potato mix (I like loaded) then egg and put on a piece of tin foil that I have spread olive oil on. Grill for 5 minutes per side for average filets. Fish over 20" will need longer. At 10 minutes take a fork and twist it in the fish. If flaky, you're set! I tried coconut pineapple fish this weekend. Do the same as above, but roll the filets in shredded coconut after the egg step. At the 5 minute mark, put chunk pineapple on the foil with the fish. It came out sweet! Delicious! Good for you for only shooting what you eat! Try Mutton Snapper, Porgy, and even Trigger Fish. You'll like them too! When you get the filets cut, put them in the fridge soaking in milk. It's a good way to store the fish without getting any fishy smell or taste. Anything over 5-6 days should be frozen though. Enjoy!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1