Prefered gear setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all i was wondering how you all like your gear setup for diving as far as convienience and accesabilty and also so your not bogged down with too much stuff. Example: do you prefer your dive computer to be on your wrist or connected to your console, do you prefer an octopus or secondary connected to your inflator for streamline, do you prefer a compass on your wrist or console and also your pressure guage were do you prefer it to be, connected with your computer or your compass? Im just wondering what are the pros and cons to such questions because i want to carry enough to get the job done (spearing,lobstering,etc) but not have so much to worry about.

I will be having a speargun and lobster net and tickle stick when i dive and will be clipped to my bc (lobster bag, dive flag) when swimming so is it best to have certain things like a computer on your wrist rather than on a console so you have easier access to it or better to have pressure tank guage and comp on a console for better visual understanding of the dive? thanks all for the tips.

Hi all i was wondering how you all like your gear setup for diving as far as convienience and accesabilty and also so your not bogged down with too much stuff. Example: do you prefer your dive computer to be on your wrist or connected to your console, do you prefer an octopus or secondary connected to your inflator for streamline, do you prefer a compass on your wrist or console and also your pressure guage were do you prefer it to be, connected with your computer or your compass? Im just wondering what are the pros and cons to such questions because i want to carry enough to get the job done (spearing,lobstering,etc) but not have so much to worry about.

I will be having a speargun and lobster net and tickle stick when i dive and will be clipped to my bc (lobster bag, dive flag) when swimming so is it best to have certain things like a computer on your wrist rather than on a console so you have easier access to it or better to have pressure tank guage and comp on a console for better visual understanding of the dive? thanks all for the tips.

Hmmm....well, I've got a wrist mounted computer on my right wrist, with an SPG clipped off to my left waist D ring or my left chest D ring. I've got my primary regulator on a long hose which is wrapped around my body, and my backup regulator is on a bungee necklace around my neck (in an OOA situation, I donate the primary in my mouth, and use the backup reg around my neck for myself).

I've heard that divers hunting for lobster tend to prefer console mounted gauges instead of wrist mounted gauges because wrist mounted stuff tends to get hung up in holes while reaching for lobster - but I've never hunted for lobster and I don't know anyone who does, so take it for what's it worth :)

I'm personally not very fond of the inflator alternate air thingies...I had a hard time keeping the AIR2 in my mouth, so I needed one hand to hold the AIR2 in place, one hand to hang on to my buddy's BC, and another hand to dump air as needed. Since I only have two hands, it didn't work out so well for me. Others have them and love them, though. No matter what you choose, be sure to practice with it frequently. If you do have an inflator alternate air thingy, you might consider getting a bit longer hose for your primary...with the alternate thingy, you give your primary reg to the OOA diver and breathe off the alternate air inflator. The standard length primary hose is kinda short, forcing you to be nose to nose with the OOA diver. A slightly longer hose gives y'all a bit more room, which can make things less stressful.

If you are interested in having a logical, streamlined, simplified, adaptable equipment configuration, then I suggest that you consider a Hogarthian configuration.

Check out the Hogarthian forum here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom