New to Diving which reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chech789

Reaction score
Hello I am new to diving and new to the scuba board forum, need some opinions on some regs the only one I have been looking at is the Mares Prestige 12 at a LDS for 350.00 just wondering what anyone might think of it or if anyone has any expericance with this reg.Also I dive in warm water in WPB florida and the keys.If you have any other input on other regs in same price area let me know thanks.

Thank you :cool2:

Go to LeasurePro or some other online website and buy yourself a name brand reg set at a discount price probably for less than half of what your LDS will sell you one. That is unless you like wasting your money. (Next will be all the posts about warranties and how nicely your friendly LDS will treat you.) I just last month bought a Scubapro reg set from LP for a few bucks more than the local LDS wanted to charge me to do service on my old set. So I sold my old set on Ebay and came out ahead and have a new set of regs to boot. Figure I'll do this every year.

My family dives here in Florida. We have used the Oceanic Alpha regulator with good results. Meets the Navy spec to 198 feet. The latest version is the Alpha 8. Leisure Pro has them.

Some folks will make a big to-do about local service. Here's what I did last time:

Bought Oceanic Alpha 7 online cheap. Used 18 months, no service. Sold it on eBay for $24 less than I paid for it. Used the proceeds to buy a new one.

It is a good regulator. Have fun with whatever you get.

Go to LeasurePro or some other online website and buy yourself a name brand reg set at a discount price probably for less than half of what your LDS will sell you one. That is unless you like wasting your money. (Next will be all the posts about warranties and how nicely your friendly LDS will treat you.) I just last month bought a Scubapro reg set from LP for a few bucks more than the local LDS wanted to charge me to do service on my old set. So I sold my old set on Ebay and came out ahead and have a new set of regs to boot. Figure I'll do this every year.

To the OP, great advice here......get on line, there are deals out there galore....also, scubatoys.com has a 10% discount to SB memebers, & you can receive another ~$50 off a purchase by posting a few hundred posts on their little site....

Chech. . . well there's a business model for you, buy cheap then dump it on ebay when it needs service. To choose a regulator, click on the "Forums" button at the top of the page, and scroll down till you reach equipment reviews. . . there are people, discussing every brand of regulator you can find. They all work, they probably all pass the navy requirements, and most exceed the navy requirements, at more that the navy will pay.

The ony variation between regulators in fit, is the mouthpiece. . . buy a comfortable mouth piece and a pack of zip ties, and they are all equal. Rent all of the gear and try it out in your dive sites. With your mouthpiece, they'll all feel about the same.

When you've rented several and made a choice, then talk to a local dealer see if he will work with you. . . you need a local dealer to buy air from, and to service the brands he carries. The day will come when you want to dive, and a leaking valve seat, can be serviced while you wait, or while it goes across the country. That's my experience. I like my local dive shop.

I just ordered lots of gear from scubatoys for the significant other. They gave me a great discount over the phone! The low-end Mares have a bad rep from asking around. On the lower end, I think you'd do better with Oceanic or Sherwood. If you'll be diving every week or something, you may want to invest more in your regs and get a high performance set so you don't need to replace it in 6 months with something that works better at depth...

i second the LP... i got cressi sub set... cheap and it's great! It'll work well... Just check it before you go down deep :wink:

I wont use mares gear so I'm not going to tell you to buy it. instead I'm going to suggest you call Mike at Dive Right In Scuba and look into what he can offer, my guess is he will blow the price from the LDS otta the water or you will get a better reg for a great price.

If he cant help you there is plenty of online resources like this deal on the regs I own:

Scubapro MK17 S600. Regulators Regulators, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

Thank you all for the input, Garrbo thanks for that suggestion to LeasurePro man they got some good deals compared to the LDS I can get a Aqua Lung Legend ACD for the same price as the mares prestige 350.00, my buddy has this set and I like it, but couldnt get one because it was 530.00 in stores, this might be the one I get. Im still going to do more research before I make my final disicuion.

I have the Scuba Pro Mk25 S600...excellent regulator. The regulator is the last thing you should ever "skimp" on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom