Free DIR Demo - Mike Kane at Gilboa Quarry, Gilboa OH on May 31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
On Saturday, May 31st Scubaguys.com is hosting a FREE DIR DEMO BY MIKE KANE. The demo will be held at Gilboa Quarry in Gilboa, Ohio from 10am-12:30pm. Discussion will touch on the fundamentals of DIR, diving techniques, equipment considerations, GUE, etc.... It's an excellent opportunity to find out what "DIR" really means. Even more, join Mike Kane for a dive or two at 2:00pm at the dock nearest the airplane. It will be shallow and give you an excellent opportunity to see what this DIR diving system looks like in the water. The backplates with BC wing will even be available for those who wish to try it for the dive. The dive will be video taped so a short video debrief will follow.
Mike Kane will be joined by the ScubaGuys themselves, our local GUE instructors Brandon Schwartz and Scot Wernette.

*FUNDAMENTALS OF DIR* Learn what it really means to be DIR. It's way more than the equipment. Come see!

*DIVING TECHNIQUES* Learn a little about the whys and why nots of diving techniques and how these techniques should look in the water.

*EQUIPMENT CONSIDERATIONS* Learn about why we choose the equipment we do and what makes it DIR.

*GUE* Learn how GUE raises the bar of diver education

Additional information can be obtained by going to:

http://www.scubaguys.com and click on "MHK's DIR Demo"

With all the chatter about Mike lately, I thought there would be more action in response to your announcement Jack.

For the DIR-doubters, here's your chance to debate the issues in person instead of by email. And you can back up your points in the water, mano y mano.

I think some people are still argueing about that old picture of Mike and havent had time to see this post!

I sure am glad they don't have old pics of me! Man, did I look bad when I first got started....

WJL,
Wow, sounds like a loud thud of a gauntlet being thrown down...
From what I have heard about MHK, it would be worth it for entertainment value alone to watch the debate above or beneath the water... mano y mano...love it..:D

Detroit Diver,
Nice diving with you Saturday... enjoyed the diving as well as the many laughs. Especially liked seeing the hydrophone run out of your car. You expanded my horizons that day...(grin) Brandon and Scot talked me into coming regardless of the crowds that will be there for DUI days. They were pretty persuasive, they stated that we might be able to get our own area away from the masses to get in some diving...that's all it took for me..:D

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...
WJL,
From what I have heard about MHK, it would be worth it for entertainment value alone to watch the debate...

Best Regards
Don

With rare and limited exceptions what you'll find at these type of events is that the heated rhetoric that is often associated with cyber forums does not exist when you get face to face.. This event is about having fun, meeting other diver's, like-minded or otherwise, and in point of fact is more focused on disassociating some of the verbal hysteria on the lists with diver's that just want to approach a controversial subject with an open mind, ask questions and have a fun day at Gilboa..

Also, I have just spoken to Jarrod and he is going to supply several sets of BP & wings should anyone want to try a set at no charge.. As I understand it, the DIR Demo will coincide with a DUI event also scheduled for Gilboa for the same day. It seems to me that the place will be full of diver's, and I can't think of a better place that I'd rather be..

Later

WJL,
From what I have heard about MHK, it would be worth it for entertainment value alone to watch the debate above or beneath the water... mano y mano...love it..:D

I guess it did sound a little confrontational Don, but that wasn't the idea. It should be a great day of talking about diving, then getting in the water for some fun. It should be outstanding because Mike's a good explainer, a good diver, and enjoys doing both. I do think, however, that the diving skills of Mike and the ScubaGuys will be as convincing as all the talking.

And after all, it's only diving. The main reason we all do this is because we enjoy it.

I enjoyed the dive with you Saturday. Maybe we'll meet up again soon.

WJL

Geez... I'm sorry I didn't recognize your "log in"... don't want you to think I'm a cad. I appreciated the opportunity to dive with you as well. Thank you.

As far as confrontational, I didn't take your comments as such. I envisioned you typing it in a rather "humorous" manner. I thought your "mano y mano" was creative...

If anyone reads my comments as such, they also weren't intended to be confrontational....

Brandon and Scot asked me several times if I was going to come up. I generally try to avoid the diving crowds, but based on some of the last comments I heard from the guys made me reconsider. Especially the part about getting in a dive or so. Will have my light by then so I'll be able to communicate better with you and the team...

Best Regards
Don

WJL,

Detroit Diver,
Nice diving with you Saturday... enjoyed the diving as well as the many laughs. Especially liked seeing the hydrophone run out of your car. You expanded my horizons that day...(grin) Brandon and Scot talked me into coming regardless of the crowds that will be there for DUI days. They were pretty persuasive, they stated that we might be able to get our own area away from the masses to get in some diving...that's all it took for me..:D

Best Regards
Don

Don,

The pleasure was mine. It was a fun dive, regardless of the lousy viz!

I wish I could take credit for the hydrophone. It was just planted in my car! I think the weekend of the DIR Demo might be a good place/time to resurrect it, though!

See you there!

Jack

detroit diver once bubbled...

Don,

The pleasure was mine. It was a fun dive, regardless of the lousy viz!

I wish I could take credit for the hydrophone. It was just planted in my car! I think the weekend of the DIR Demo might be a good place/time to resurrect it, though!

See you there!

Jack

Works cool in the pool also... the video taping will have music automatically included... no music dubbing needed.

I didn't think about the background music-that's a great idea for our videos.

I was thinking of using the microphone in Gilboa:

"This is the quarry police. Get off the bottom. Now."

Whadda ya think?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom