Real difference between wetsuit technologies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at buying my first wetsuit (still relatively new to diving), and am completely overwhelmed by the many different wetsuit technologies/brands/marketing buzzwords. It seems like each different manufacturer has their own "#1" technology that makes their wetsuits superior to the others. Is this true or is it all marketing BS? Is a 5mm wetsuit from Henderson going to be pretty much equal (form, fit, function, insulation, range of movement, etc) to a 5mm from Aqualung or Cressi or Scubapro or Poseidon, etc? Any help would be appreciated.
FYI, I dive primarily in New Jersey from May through October with the (very) occasional trip to more balmy locations. Was looking at getting a 5mm as a starting point, and then investing in a hooded vest if needed.

Its a big question but here is a partial answer.

Semi dry wet suits are not really warmer than a good fitting wet suit. The seals just make the range of acceptable fit a little wider and if the suit is too big, the voids in the armpits, etc will still pump lots of water past the seals as you move.

Neoprene is not always the same it comes in several grades with respect to resistance to compression, resistant to permanent crushing and in the stretch and softness of the material. Some of those traits come at the expense of others.

But generally speaking a suit that costs twice as much is not going to be twice as good and again, the suit the fits you the best (of a given thickness) is probably going to be the warmest and most comfortable for you regardless of brand.

5mm may or may not be warm enough for you in NJ depending on your body type and persoanl metabolism (however I am leaning heavily on the not warm enough side). You are right though that a hooded vest can add insulation and flexibility.

Henderson's hyperstretch material is nice in terms of stretch, but the outer layer is very prone to pilling so it won't look nice and new very long at all. They very quickly get shopworn even after only one or two customers try them on due to the velcro tabs scuffing the fabric on the outside of the suit.

The much hyped Titanium layers really don't add any warmth by reflecting heat back, but they often result in a smooth inner surface (example: Henderson's gold core technology) that does a better job of restricting water flow - but can make it harder to get on/off in some circumstances.

Generally speaking in order of importance:

1. Fit

2. Fit

3. Fit

4. Rubber quality

5. Seam integrity

6. Gee whiz features like spine pads, inner seals, etc

I dive in NJ as well. As far as the wet suits go first I have to agree with DA, the primary thing to get right is the fit of the suit. Once you've got that nailed down they are all very similar. I have dove Aqualung and Henderson mostly and would go with the Aqualung because the knee pads on the Henderson's seem to separate after a year or two depending on how much you dive. One thing I want to point out though is that if you are going to be diving in NJ you're going to want a 7mm, not a 5mm. Once you hit the thermocline temp drops off fast, usually to the mid to upper 40's in the middle of the summer. It only gets colder from that point on. A hood is also going to be very helpful. I found that with a hood and a 7mm suit on I could easily go down to the low 40's for an hour dive. Best of luck, and happy diving!

- Rob

As others have said....
fit is the most important.
For green water Atlantic diving, 5mm is not thick enough.
Make sure your hood fits and isn't too tight.

Purchase a Lycra skin. Skins make donning a wetsuit whole lot easier.

Last edited:
As others have said before, fit is the primary factor. Quality of neoprene is next. Find something that fits you good and enjoy it. If they start hyping the Titanium technologhy to you as the reason it cost more, ask to see the studies that were conducted. To my knowledge there haven't been any credible studies to prove the Titanium wetsuits are better.

The number one consideration for my wife and me was ease of getting into and out of the suit. The Henderson Hyperstretch suits were perfect. They cost significantly more, and were I younger, I probably would have gone with something in more basic neoprene. We've now done about 200 dives in these suits (3 mm for my wife; 5 mm and a more recent 3 mm for me) and there is some pilling, but not much, and we have kept it at bay by always sticking the velcro hooks onto an out-of-sight location when the suit is not being worn. Henderson is advertising a newer and more expensive hyperstretch model that supposedly does not pill as much.

Generally speaking in order of importance:

1. Fit

2. Fit

3. Fit

4. Rubber quality

5. Seam integrity

I would change it to:

1. Fit
2. Seam integrity
3. Fit
4. Fit
5. Rubber quality

All of my issues on a wetsuit have revolved around the seams.

I wouldn't even consider getting in that water without a drysuit. Someone mentioned 40's in a wetsuit ! AAAUUURRGH thats cold!

A good drysuit will last you many years. And water temps only get colder
every year. At least they feel that way. For warm water trips you can always pick up a cheap 3mil.

And water temps only get colder
every year. At least they feel that way. For warm water trips you can always pick up a cheap 3mil.
I agree. I used to make ice dives with a 1/4" high waist wet suit. After the second one I usually could not feel my feet. I am not sure if I am less cold tolerant now or just a lot smarter.

I also agree with the chaep 3 mm approach. You can get one for not much more than $100 and you will be happier with a 3mm and a 7mm than you will with just a 5mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom