Good use for aluminum 50's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterof0

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently acquired a set of doubled AL50s for a steal of a price. I purchased mainly for the manifold and bands. The tanks are out of hydro so they will need to be serviced. My question is if it is even worth the 50-60 is it going to cost to get them hydro'd. You don't hear much about them so I am curious if there is a good use for them.

I can also get some steel 72s (which also use 6.9" bands) for 75 each with current hydro and vis. So my debate is if I should apply the cost of the hydro to two of those tanks and double them up.

Al 50s are perfect for use in the pool - they have nice buoyancy characteristics. They are also great for kids learning to dive. I have several, mostly for my grandson (Jr OW diver), but I also have a pair set up as doubles for my double hose regulator experiments. As it turns out, the doubles weight 50# so I doubt that I will use them. I'll probably break them down and leave them for the pool.

I also have a LP 72 but I don't plan to get another for doubles. It too is fun in the pool. I have a vintage web harness on the tank and use it with my double hose regulators.

Other than that, I use HP 100s.

Richard

You could use/sell them as stage cylinders, or larger-than-average pony bottles. I carry a 5litre bottle side slung as a pony. When I move to twins, it'll be there as a deco cylinder.

You have already had a couple suggestions. If I were you, I would get them hydroed. Someone will buy them.

I use them for shallow LI Sound dives when in a wet suit..my air consumption is low so I can get 1hr + out of them in 20-25' of depth and still get back on the boat with gas to spare...also use 63cu tank same way..In Bonaire I use mostly 63's,sometimes a 50, just because of the lighter weight and still can keep up with everyone and usually come out of the water with 800 psi left..only place in Bonaire that I might use a 80 is hooker wreck,and that is to stay a bit longer,problem with that is I run into a deco obligation...

I'll second Richard, they are great in the pool.

As a stage, I've found them to be a PITA. They're bottom heavy and a big lump, a Luxfer 40 is a much better choice.

All the best, James

I recently acquired a set of doubled AL50s for a steal of a price. I purchased mainly for the manifold and bands. The tanks are out of hydro so they will need to be serviced. My question is if it is even worth the 50-60 is it going to cost to get them hydro'd. You don't hear much about them so I am curious if there is a good use for them.

I can also get some steel 72s (which also use 6.9" bands) for 75 each with current hydro and vis. So my debate is if I should apply the cost of the hydro to two of those tanks and double them up.

A double AL50 I think would be good for rebreathers only, I wouldn't go for them as double cylinders, but definetly, as other posters mentioned, is a great cylinder for deco bottle, I think you should hydro them to sell (or keep it to you) as stage bottles, and since you will service them, I recommend to make them Oxygen compatible, as deco bottles most of the time are filled with Oxygen or some enriched mix such as EAN 50.

For doubles, apart from AL50 being too small to double (better to use a single 100),because of buoyancy characteristics, I prefer steel, ALs are positively buoyant, requiring more wheight. But for stages in short decos, specially for Oxygen stops (6 mters) they are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom