Advice on good newbie rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I would like your input (freedivers and SCUBA divers alike) on what would be a good spearfishing rig to start with. I've been spearfishing twice, but only by freediving.. Normally, I rent all my gear before I commit to dropping that plastic card down, but there aren't any places in my area which rent spearguns. That said, I have a 27" draw on a bow (don't know if that's a factor in spearfishing), and consider myself in good shape. I also have good buoyancy control. Any ideas on what I should start out with?

I've been looking at the JBL Woody .38 special, but can't seem to find any detailed reviews. Please give me your opinions on why / why not to buy metal / wood frames, water variables I need to consider, spear heads / accessories, and of course, the bang for my buck factor.

Looking forward to the replies!!!

J

My advice with you is to skip the jbl(not the "greatest" of guns), and go with either a euro rail style gun (rob allen, mako, omer, etc) or some riffe (mid handle or euro). Those are just a few examples of what probably more than half of most Spearos use.

That will help you decide what model you get, now just get the right size for what and where you are spearing. If you are lake diving in somewhere like Tennessee, I'd say go with something 90 cm. or smaller or if you going to HI (your last dive?) something 110cm or bigger.

With there being so many opinions that float around on this forum, I know y'all have more to say than that... Thanks for the advice tho 'spear. I'm looking to start out with something a little more compact for now.. What about pneumatic guns?

JBL has some great beginners guns for a few situations. . . what is your spearfishing situation? The smallest one band guns from JBL would handle fresh water crappie if they are legal in your area. Soft body fish a pound or two and usually able to get close to. Staying with the fresh water fish, because none of this will work in Hawaii, The 38 special comes with two or three bands will handle a little bigger fish, at a little greater distance. I have the 38 special woody with a 3 notch shaft, it handles 5 or 6 lb catfish, or carp at 10 feet or so. It will bounce off larger carp, or fail to penetrate catfish on the bottom. The mini magnum is a stronger gun and a little longer, so a good shot on a 10 lb carp or catfish on a soft bottom is within it's ability.

I upgraded to a Riffe metaltech for easily handling bigger catfish, it's a much better, stronger gun, for more money.

I've used pneumatics in the past and they have some good and bad points. When the manufacturers went out of business the lack of repair parts made a lot of these guns useless. Rubber power can be made to fit any brand, not pneumatics.

JBL makes some very good spearpoints with long or short wings. A soft skinned fish will allow a spear to go through far enough for the wings to open up on the back side. Tougher fish need smaller wings, to open up with less penetration. Crappie will lay down when hit by even the single rubber powered shaft, carp and catfish will spin and fight against a spear. They have unscrewed spearpoints. JBL makes spinner wings to combat that problem. If you get a big fish, a break away point attached to the spear with a cable will save your spearshaft from being bent.

The equipment for spearfishing freshwater lakes is often heavy and short for big fish at close range. . . If you plan to hunt the offshore oil rigs for big fish, every thing will be different. The oil rigs in the gulf offer the best spearfishing for big good eating fish. Many states regulations for freshwater divers, only allow rough fish, with nothing good to eat. Arkansas allows divers 1/2 the limit of game fish allowed line fishermen. On a lake by lake regulation, you can shoot Big striped bass, walleye, catfish, and in some lakes black bass. I hope this gives you enough information to start, ask if there is something else you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom