Full Tank Storage - How Long is Too Long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude79

Contributor
Reaction score
Questions:
1. What is the longest that should a full tank be stored before a dive?
2. Does storing the tank full for a longer duration (1 - 3 months) cause tank stress that could lead to tank failure, and can the air go bad making it dangerous or unpleasant?

Since the VIP expires after 1 year, lets assume that the storage will be less than that.

I have an area that I store all of my scuba gear including tanks that is safe from kids, temperature changes, etc. I live in an area that diving is not readily available and it is kind of inconvenient to get a fill the day before or the day of a dive which requires storage.

Any thoughts on this?

I recently used a tank which was filled about a year ago without any harmful effects. I think.

Storing the tank full will not shorten its life, and assuming there is no water or excessive corrosion in the tank, the gas inside it will not go bad in a year, or even two.

I recently used a tank which was filled about a year ago without any harmful effects. I think.

Garrobo,

I don't know how to break this to you, but.... when I look at your picture, I think there might have been something in that tank.... was the the tank giving off a blue glow when you used it.... I'm thinking Godzilla-syndrome..... :D

And 2nd what DA Aquamaster said :wink:

Best wishes.

I've heard 4 months from some experienced people and 6 months from others. Not sure if anyone really knows what the limit is.

I guess next time I rent a tank, I'll flip it over and see if it has a "Best If Use By" date on the bottom.

For freshest air, breathe by 1 December 2009

Leadturn: Hey fella, let's not be making fun of my physical appearance. My Mama was an iguana and my Daddy was a cane toad. It's not my fault you know.

Leadturn: Hey fella, let's not be making fun of my physical appearance. My Mama was an iguana and my Daddy was a cane toad. It's not my fault you know.

Mine too! My wife was so dissapointed the 1st time she kissed me and I didn't turn into a prince... :rofl3:

Seriously, always thought that pic you use was cool, and finally had an opportunity to mention it (even if it was in jest :wink: ).

Best wishes.

Questions:
1. What is the longest that should a full tank be stored before a dive?
2. Does storing the tank full for a longer duration (1 - 3 months) cause tank stress that could lead to tank failure, and can the air go bad making it dangerous or unpleasant?

Since the VIP expires after 1 year, lets assume that the storage will be less than that.

I have an area that I store all of my scuba gear including tanks that is safe from kids, temperature changes, etc. I live in an area that diving is not readily available and it is kind of inconvenient to get a fill the day before or the day of a dive which requires storage.

Any thoughts on this?

Once used a tank that was in my garage for 4 + years.....I'm still alive, sort of.....

Back
Top Bottom