Cinque Terre or Calafuria in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilulfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am heading to Italy (Tuscany) at the end of May and I am curious about the dive conditions (i.e. water temperature) at Cinque Terre and/or Calafuria at the end of May.

Last edited:
I am heading to Italy (Tuscany) at the end of May and I am curious about the dive conditions (i.e. water temperature) at Cinque Terre and/or Calafuria at the end of May.

I was in that area (Tuscany) last week, and the temp was about 17 °C on surface, and about 15 °C at -40 mt.

By the end of May you can expect a couple of degrees warmer.

Ciao.
A.

Slightly OT but if you do not go diving, hiking Cinque Terre is great fun. I hiked from Portovenere to Monterosso over two days. The end of May would be a very nice time to go.

Thanks for the info Boa Gialla.

I did the Cinque Terre hike a few years back (even though I didn't make it to the end) and it was great indeed. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

I just returned from Portofino (just north of Cinque Terre) Tuesday; I visited several dive sites in the Portofino Marine Park including the cristo degli abissi. The water temperatures down to 125 feet was about 57 degrees F, slightly warmer at shallower depths. There was a storm that came in and made the seas very choppy so they had to reschedule several of the dives and it affected the vis but still was much better than I am used to at home in NH/MA. I also hiked the trail at Cinque Terre and two of the sections were closed due to mud slides I think but you can take the train and go around them. I hope this helps.

hi piccola
which dive op did you use ?
do they have a website ?
thanx

Annlaur

I stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure and went diving with DWS Dive Center http://www.dwsdiving.com/. They actually made the hotel arrangements for me too. They came and picked up my gear when I arrived and kept it secured for me during the duration of my stay. The partners Cathy, Tonino and Luca were excellent guides and divers. I had a great time with them diving. We dove in the protected marine park in Portofino, a very short boat trip from the dock. Check out their website.

Today, I did a shore dive in Calafuria. The bottom (20 M/75 F) temperature was 16 C/61 F. Visibility was about 25 M/80 F. Nice dive.

There is a dive shop located in Riomaggiore (one of the five villages) with which I had success. Their data is as follows. Associazione Diving 5 Terre, their URL is: .:: 5terrediving.it ::. - phone 3900187920011. They are, according to their web site, the only Dive Shop in the cinque terre protected area.

Back
Top Bottom