Water inside a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This may sound a little dumb, but I just recently noticed that there was a bit of water inside my BCD after I had let it dry on a hanger for a day. I turned it upside down and pressed the deflator button and some water came out. Is this normal for water to get inside? I suspect it happened as I may have held the deflator open a little too long while descending.

Very common.

Blow the water out of your BC when you are rinsing your gear. I try to fill my bladder up with fresh water once a week to clean out the inside as well.

Yep, it's normal. And it's the reason you should rinse out the inside of the BCD when you clean it.

I don’t know were you got your training from but in class they should have told you to rinse your BCD inside and out with fresh water. Why, because water will get inside your BCD and you need to make sure to clean it out. Water inside your BCD should be no surprise.

Yes, it happens. It is not abnormal, and you should expect water in your BC after a days diving.
If you have been in salt water, make sure you rinse out the bladder part thoroughly with fresh water. Push the manual inflator and run a freshwater hose right into the mouthpiece. Fill it up. Slosh it around so the whole thing gets wet inside. Hang BC upside down, holding button down, and let it drain. Repeat at least once.
I do this after every dive day in salt water. Not a bad idea to do it where there are zebra mussels, too.

Wasn't the issue of water in your BCD (and how to rinse the bladder) covered in your OW class? It was covered in the first pool session for mine - they wanted all the chlorine rinsed out :D
Even if all you are diving in is the Great Lakes - that water may be fresh but it's still got enough things in it to leave an odd smell if you don't rinse regularly.

Thanks for the quick replies. No actually, the instructors never mentioned it in class. I kind of discovered it on my own and figured that was the case. It's a good thing all you guys are around!

..to rinse your BC when diving in salt water. It will help dissolve any salt that may have crystalized in or on your BC.

Back
Top Bottom