Does your insurance cover diving accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been considering subscribing to DAN and a thought crossed my mind... What if my health insurance does not cover diving accidents? I have to get with my HR dept and find out for sure, no mention of it as an exclusion on my documents that I can find.

How many of you have no insurance coverage of Dive related injuries and what do you do?

DAN insurance is relatively inexpensive and the coverage's if you need them are excellent, just buy the DAN policy you wont be sorry, And more than likely your regular health insurance wont cover diving related injuries

I just got my certand this poat made me thank . Well thanks i will be getting the dan before my next dive.

DAN is good insurance, you know it covers you while your diving:)
and I would suggest the highest level they have .. I know someone that is many, many, hundreds of thousands of dollars glad that they had it
and It's also worth being a member of DAN (necessary to get the insurance) to support an organization that has done, and continues to do, much to help divers ..

Last edited:
Well when I used to have private health insurance I rung them up to ask this and they told me they had no idea and asked me to tell them what a diving accident might involve. I sent them some links from wikipedia :wink: And they came back and said it would be treated like any accident (say I fell out of a tree, or got run over by a car) so all my hospital bills would be covered.

To be honest, I did not trust this fully and had I continued with private health cover I would have gotten something more official (rather than just an email). These days I have DAN insurance, which will cover anything that the public health system won't. One buddy just got his chamber bill - $1200 - and most is covered by the public health system and he says the remainder is covered by his private insurance. If he did not have PHI DAN would have covered the rest I believe. He also mentioned that the hyperbaric unit said they price in a way that people will hardly be out of pocket.

Mine does now---I mean DAN does...We finally got DAN almost 2 years ago-made over 40 outside of US dive trips without it--guess we(wife & I & 3 kids till about 10 years ago) rolled the dice & won...Now let me die with diving insurance under my belt.....

And what if you were to die? Would life insurance pay out to my beneficiaries if a diving injury should be fatal? Have I got some research to do. Thanks for the replies!

And what if you were to die? Would life insurance pay out to my beneficiaries if a diving injury should be fatal? Have I got some research to do. Thanks for the replies!

I read my Health insurance policy and I found NO exclusions for claims resulting from scuba diving.
Several years ago, I signed up for a Life Insurance policy and I had to sign a form stating that I did not participate in hazzardous activities, (including scuba diving, skydiving, car racing, mountain climbing etc) and had no plans to do so. It was not an issue with me @ the time. I no longer have the policy, so it is still not an issue. You may want to look @ the policy that you signed.

Some Managed Indemnity programs wont allow balance billing if treated within state and cover 80% out of state. So yes, its a good question and people should contact their health providers in this regards.

Back
Top Bottom