Two missing Thai divers in Sattahip, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limbo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Two Thai divers (instructor and student) disappeared off Samae San/Sattahip near Pattaya Sunday 10th may, 2009 and have not been found yet.

The Instructor had 13 years experience, according to my source and apparently was under way with 4 students, one panicked whilst or during mask clearing, 3 students surfaced, instructor and 'panicked' student so far have not been seen since.

Thai TV, Channel 3 showed a fairly big piece just before 7am this morning, 12th May, showing parts of the search from a helicopter. They hope they're still alive and on an island. Nearing on 48 hours soon, afaik around 14.30 this afternoon.

They consistantly kept talking about the divers using oxygen tanks, when did I hear that before in press reports, not just in Thailand?

Just heard that the diver's body was found today inside the Hardeep by Russ, the CD at Mermaid's. Still no sign of hte missing instructor

Let's hope he found safe shelter on one of the islands. Were they diving the Hardeep or Rong Kong? I've been a regular reader of this section since joining SB and thankfully never had something like this hit so close to "home" before. Prayers to all involved.

Inside the Hardeep?

Sounds like the pair got into a hard current situation, which is kinda surprising if this was an OW class...?

Body of diving student found - Nationmultimedia.com
Body of diving student found

Navy rescue team on Wednesday retrieved body of a 25-year-old diving student who was swept away by strong current off Samesarn island in Chon Buri's Sattahip district on Sunday.

However the team failed to find Wiwat Tiraronkornkul, 35, diving instructor, who was also washed away.

The team found body of Pote Sawangwongseri stuck in a channel which is 49 metres deep under the sea. His body was already retrieved.

Just heard that the diver's body was found today inside the Hardeep by Russ, the CD at Mermaid's. Still no sign of hte missing instructor
Not in the Hardeep - the diver was found at 47m down the hole, minus mask and regulator spat out. There was still air in the tank (approx. 100 bar).

Were they diving the Rong Kong Hole? So what is up with the Hardeep comment by Aquanauts? The CD from another shop (Mermiad's) pulling a body out of the Hardeep is a pretty strong statement. I really hope the instructor is found okay.

Back
Top Bottom