Removing gear underwater w/ integrated weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In my OW class we did the excercise where you go to the bottom, remove your BC, switch to your safe second, "untangle" things, and then put it all back. No fuss, no muss.

But, we were doing it with weight belts. I tend to be pretty floaty - I can't stay down w/o weight. So how is that all going to work if the weights are in the BC, which is now not on me? I have this image of floating feet up, head down holding on to the BC with one hand so I don't float away. Not quite as easy as class...

thanks,
dave.

Keep at least an arm hooked in a shoulder strap for security and hold the rig close to you so you remain "integrated". It can be done with practice. That being said you have described the reason I suggest and prefer to wear my weight on a belt or in a harness. With only trim weight and a somewhat negative steel cylinder on the BC my personal buoyancy is manageable but still very apparent when I remove my rig.

Pete

Its a nice excercise that builds confidence, teaches problem solving, makes the point things are a bit different underwater and helps you learn to correct problems underwater.

But in 25 years of diving and somewhere between 1700 and 2000 dives, much of that in low viz and many of them solo, I have only had to take my BC off once due to entanglement issues. It is something few divers will ever do except as a drill and then mostly if you are solo. My one time I needed to do it was with what was essentally a weight integrated set up (doubles with stel backplate). You just need to be sure you hold onto the tank/BC with one hand or the other at all times to ensure you do not float away. If you are more or less sitting or kneeling on the bottom you can also sit the tanks/BS on your legs or thighs to keep you down. This works well as you prepare to don it again by lifting it up over your head.

cool, ty both!

Sure, it's do-able. Just keep your wits about you and realize that you're going to be positively bouyant out of the gear.

Not sure I agree that this is a good reason to stick with a weight belt or harness. How often do you really need to do this?

-Charles

With single tank, steel plate, trim pockets (all weight on the rig) this can be done while swimming/hovering - always keep contact with strap and pull the entire unit to your chest, hugging the thing, and you will be able to swim with it. This is not as difficult as it seems. This probably could not be easily done with twin tanks and heavy, buoyant wet suit, or at least I have not tried this.

As long as YOU are still supporting the weight, you will have the benefit of it. If the seafloor is supporting the weight, you will float. Remove the bcd, but don't put it down.

Of course, keep a tight grasp of it.

After the OW course, you are unlikely to ever need to do this skill again...that said...it is a good one to practice (in safe conditions, such as a swimming pool), as it breeds familiarity and confidence.

I never understood what was so nice about integrated weights on a conventional bcd even when I owned one. they made the rig heavier to lift into a boat, cluttered up the chest and stomach area, and made wearing a weight belt uncomfortable when one wanted to divide up weight. With that said I pretty much turned my bp/w into a weight integrated system by hard bolting the weight onto is so I can never drop or lose weight but thats another thread.

When I practice this in the pool I try and keep lung volume to a minimum and empty the drysuit and since I dont have any more lead than necessary I tend not to float up much and the rig tends to not sink much either. I have to add a little air to the wing to keep the rig neutral though.

If you think this is a challenge try doing it midwater without touching anything. Practically speaking thats the way you should be practicing because you never know what or where the bottom will be when you need to remove gear.

with that said I have only ever done it in training but I do dive solo and anticipate I will need to eventually.

I agree with DA Aquamaster - put your rig in your lap.

I have only had to remove my gear once or twice that I can think of to stuff the cylinder back in the cam strap of the backpack. It was a steel 72 cubic foot tank which is smaller than my usual aluminum 80 so the straps were lose on the steel tank.

I don't go where I will get tangled in anything, unless I am on surface supplied and wearing an air hat (see avitar picture) so I have all the air in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom