Dumbest Mistake PSA; Do NOT Remove Kit Underwater (at least not for a silly leak:))

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missile, I hope, not a missal....no need to drag religion into this!
I was just spelling it how he spelled it, LOL

Now that I think about it missile looks much better:D

The air leak is either bad enough to warrant an exit, or fine enough to continue and deal later... what was I going to do once I found the leak? Stop it?
In general, I'd say the right call is just head for the surface, and then figure it out.

If it's a very quick fix, or If you're doing penetration/cave dives, or if you have "free time" doing nothing else (i.e. sitting at deco), then it might make sense. Obviously, you don't want to be wasting time trying to diagnose or fix an air-leak, when you might need those seconds getting to the surface.

For example, I had a hose come loose due to being improperly tightened, and that is fixable underwater if I knew what to do at the time. In my case, there were LOTS of bubbles, I couldn't really see, open water, 30ft from the surface and didn't know what the problem was at the time, so surfacing was the right call. In the future though, since I'm aware of this potential issue, a quick attempt to tighten by hand, if it's easily reachable (slung cylinder, 2nd-stage connection, etc) would be worthwhile. Of course, properly tightening my hoses is an easier fix.

I did never dive in a configuration which does not allow me to easily remove the tank-bcd assembly, pull it in front of me, and then put it on my back again.
Actually I often start the dive by first placing the rig in water attached to a rope and carabineer, then I enter water in free-diving configuration, release the tank from the rope, get the reg in my mouth, descend a few meters with tank in my hands, and finally get it on my back latching the velcro belt.
Opposite procedure at the end of the dive: I remove the tank while at 3m, slowly ascend to 1m where the carabineer is hanging down, attach securely the tank to the rope, and emerge without it.
This makes it easier to climb the ladder or to raise myself over the inflatable. After undressing, I finally pull out the tank...

In general, I'd say the right call is just head for the surface, and then figure it out.

If it's a very quick fix, or If you're doing penetration/cave dives, or if you have "free time" doing nothing else (i.e. sitting at deco), then it might make sense. Obviously, you don't want to be wasting time trying to diagnose or fix an air-leak, when you might need those seconds getting to the surface.

For example, I had a hose come loose due to being improperly tightened, and that is fixable underwater if I knew what to do at the time. In my case, there were LOTS of bubbles, I couldn't really see, open water, 30ft from the surface and didn't know what the problem was at the time, so surfacing was the right call. In the future though, since I'm aware of this potential issue, a quick attempt to tighten by hand, if it's easily reachable (slung cylinder, 2nd-stage connection, etc) would be worthwhile. Of course, properly tightening my hoses is an easier fix.
The right call would have been get back on the boat and figure it out or deal with the annoying sound and continue. It was a very small steam of bubbles... not a roar like something catastrophic. Believe me, I wasted plenty more gas trying to track it down then it ever would have leaked out on me!

As luck would have it, I punctured a glove on the same dive. After about an hr of that my hand was cold enough it was time to swap it out. I figured out the spg issue swapped the glove, and was back under in about 10 min.

I did never dive in a configuration which does not allow me to easily remove the tank-bcd assembly, pull it in front of me, and then put it on my back again.
Actually I often start the dive by first placing the rig in water attached to a rope and carabineer, then I enter water in free-diving configuration, release the tank from the rope, get the reg in my mouth, descend a few meters with tank in my hands, and finally get it on my back latching the velcro belt.
Opposite procedure at the end of the dive: I remove the tank while at 3m, slowly ascend to 1m where the carabineer is hanging down, attach securely the tank to the rope, and emerge without it.
This makes it easier to climb the ladder or to raise myself over the inflatable. After undressing, I finally pull out the tank...
Is that doubles? Drysuit and full cold water gear.... apples to apples?

Thanks coach! One can only hope to one day be as great as you:)... until then I'll just keep at it... keep on practicing. Even though I said I'm an idiot for going about it the way I did, you also calling me out on it is a real game changer for me. It's exactly what I needed to hear.... good talk!

When you're ready for some real world cold water dives let me know... I'd love to get you on camera to show some of these killer skills so we can all learn a thing or 2!
I’m not sure what I said that elicited a sarcastic response, but if you want to call me coach, I guess that is OK.:)

Your misinterpretation of my claim (that I am clumsy and therefore have been required to extricate myself numerous times) as bragging, let alone indicative of superlative skills that are worth emulating or learning from, leads me to suspect that perhaps you really COULD benefit from a mentor.

As for your offer/challenge that I engage in “real world cold water dives” and collect video of it; I’m not sure that is going to happen any time soon.

My perspective on this issue (R&R) has been formulated, primarily, by my personal diving. This includes a good bit of experience in solo diving cold water, which sometimes included a dry suit and double tanks, (in the ocean) and some of it was a little past recreational depths. However, that was quite a while ago and the vast majority of my diving is limited to using a wetsuit in relatively warm water in recreational depths with maybe more than half of it being solo.

I doubt I can offer a whole lot more to explain why I think removal and replacement of the scuba unit is an important skill for a solo diver (even when diving in swimming pool depths), so I think it is best that I step out of this thread.

I think from now on, you should dive an aluminum 80 and a 3mm shorty.
For Safety!

I have successfully removed and replaced steel doubles twice in a drysuit before. The first time I was wedged inside of a lattice boom crane in a river. The second time I was pinned to the ceiling of the wreck while it was going on. Both times, the wrecks had something to do with why I was removing said doubles in the first place. Based on those experiences, I don't think I would choose to try it in open water. It is a lot easier wearing a wetsuit and AL80 doubles in warm water.

This is sort of what I was going for... sent by a buddy after the fact. @Trace Malinowski was diving warmer water then me and AL tanks, but you get the idea. Always amazed at your underwater skills Trace.
This video it looks like aluminum tanks.
I don't think there are to many flat bottom steel tanks....

If those are aluminum, then its alot closer to a balanced rig then any decent sized steel doubles...

How many times have you tried getting out of a set of steel doubles on the surface???
Its definitely alot harder then you think if you have never practiced it...

Found out the hard way, solo,
to climb into a small dinghy

I think from now on, you should dive an aluminum 80 and a 3mm shorty.
For Safety!
I concur! Should probably get the snorkel back on there while I'm at it, lol.

I’m not sure what I said that elicited a sarcastic response, but if you want to call me coach, I guess that is OK.:)

Your misinterpretation of my claim (that I am clumsy and therefore have been required to extricate myself numerous times) as bragging, let alone indicative of superlative skills that are worth emulating or learning from, leads me to suspect that perhaps you really COULD benefit from a mentor.

As for your offer/challenge that I engage in “real world cold water dives” and collect video of it; I’m not sure that is going to happen any time soon.

My perspective on this issue (R&R) has been formulated, primarily, by my personal diving. This includes a good bit of experience in solo diving cold water, which sometimes included a dry suit and double tanks, (in the ocean) and some of it was a little past recreational depths. However, that was quite a while ago and the vast majority of my diving is limited to using a wetsuit in relatively warm water in recreational depths with maybe more than half of it being solo.

I doubt I can offer a whole lot more to explain why I think removal and replacement of the scuba unit is an important skill for a solo diver (even when diving in swimming pool depths), so I think it is best that I step out of this thread.
I knew that I would get criticism, and I really did expect it. Sort of 1/2 the fun of SB to poke back and forth some. I didn't mean anything personal by it.

Tbh, I don't know if being able to get out of one's gear is essential. I'm on the fence about it. I know that I won't experience this mistake again, at least not the way I went about it.

I thought it was a fun story to show that we can all make mistakes. I know I'm not the only one that's ever gone diving and left common sense at the door.

This video it looks like aluminum tanks.
I don't think there are to many flat bottom steel tanks....

If those are aluminum, then its alot closer to a balanced rig then any decent sized steel doubles...
They are AL

How many times have you tried getting out of a set of steel doubles on the surface???
Its definitely alot harder then you think if you have never practiced it...
You mean while floating? Quite a few, maybe a dozen times or so... like let's say I jump in the quarry and forget x, y, or z.. I'll just take my rig off and let it float while I jump out to go get something. I wouldn't call it "fun" but fine depending on what's going on.

Have never tried it while just floating out in the ocean / bay. Never a reason to.

I'm glad you survived. If you'd been using a proper dry glove system, such as Kubi, this wouldn't have happened.

Edit: the last time I removed my kit was a giant pita. Dry suit, 16lb belt, 14lbs on rig... I was quite floaty and holding on for dear life at 15 ft trying to adjust my pony position (too far forward on cam band).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom