Dumbest Mistake PSA; Do NOT Remove Kit Underwater (at least not for a silly leak:))

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking while I was trying to do it, @ 39 I can do this, but you add another 15 years... I'm not sure that I could pull it off?
This.
In compensation, they say that age brings wisdom. Let's just say that effect has been somewhat limited in my experience. :rofl3:

Props to you for putting yourself out there for public flagellation. :cheers:

Only two issues I can see here, 1. Oysters (yuck) 2. Having not lost enough hearing yet to easily ignore a tiny leak from a useless piece of gear. :wink:

It does not help at all that I only got about 3.5 hours of sleep the night before.
"Doesn't help" is an understatement. This is what went wrong. This is where a LOT of divers go wrong, myself included.

Lots of people probably remember the recent Malta incident, where a diver (Castillo) was charged for the death of his dive-buddy (Gauci). Among the many things that went wrong, the first big red-flag was she (the one who died) had not gotten enough sleep. Then throughout the dive, a bunch of little things went wrong, and then something big went wrong. Almost all of it (by my estimation) stemmed from the lack of sleep.

In the past year, I went on a dive, where I too hadn't gotten enough sleep. It didn't take long for things to start going wrong. It took forever to get ready. My sidemount tanks were flopping everywhere, I had to return to the boat to fix. When getting back in the water, one of my fins fell off the boat. I happened to have a spare set, and decided to go looking for my fin, and then I started to develop cramps. I thankfully had the sense to call the dive. And thankfully, decided several weeks later (when I didn't get enough sleep) to pass on another dive.

My best course of action was to to try and reach back to get the strap back on
Unkitting and re-kitting is a decent skill to have, but I personally would practice it in a safe environment, ideally in a shallow area with the surface not far above you, and the ground not far beneath you. Unkitting and re-kitting is a skill we did in my initial Open Water class in the pool (not sure if part of standard curriculum or what the instructor wanted to do), and also something I've seen in sidemount training.

Doing it while having several problems, including lack of sleep, and while (I presume) floating a good distance from the bottom is probably not a great idea.

It was a dumb move. I am open to criticism's...
It's good you shared, because this is how we (the community) learns. We make mistakes and do dumb stuff from time to time, and while it's not great, it's also something people shouldn't be embarrassed by.

I tried but I really don't understand the problem. Can you explain again what exactly happened for the slow people like myself?

Nevertheless, I think you are making a huge mistake if you continue to dive solo and the message you take away is to not take your rig off underwater. This is a very basic and important skill and it now sounds like you are scared of it. I have not used a dry suit and I am sure thick gloves also make the skill more challenging, but that is no excuse. Even if you could not get the tank back on properly, why would you not plan on just holding it and making the 15 ft ascent like that? What reason is there to contemplate ditching the gear when it seems like it still works and is un-entangled in the bottom?

I've gotten line tangled in my reg/tank many times and have had to remove the tank to clear it. Sometimes it is tough in a strong current, but you still need to be able to do it.

Well, I thought I laid it out pretty easily but the problem was obviously ME, lol.

Why is solo a mistake? We don't all dive the same, or even in the same type of environment. Here in the MD, PA, NJ area you're lucky if you can see your buddies mask. If you want to dive here, best to learn to solo a bit. I'm not advocating solo at all, I'm just telling you how we dive around here. To each his own.

Taking gear off isn't something I'm scared of, I just think there were better ways to manage this issue (like dealing with it back on the boat). The air leak is either bad enough to warrant an exit, or fine enough to continue and deal later... what was I going to do once I found the leak? Stop it? Before I knew it I was in a situation that I didn't intend on being in. I was just impatient, wanted the bubbles to stop NOW, or at least find out what it was. I'm sure there are reasons to take gear off underwater, and I've done it successfully before... this just wasn't one of those times.

This was steel LP85's filled to about 3300psi. This was not a single tank in a 3mm wetsuit with no gloves on. It's different. If I had a balanced rig (weights on me) this would have been way easier. If a single tank way way easier.

"Doesn't help" is an understatement. This is what went wrong. This is where a LOT of divers go wrong, myself included.

I agree 100%, but this past weekend couldn't be helped (without canceling). Stayed up late setting up for a party, then diving @ 4am, then off to said party, then off to wife's company's Christmas party.. just the way it goes sometimes.

If I canceled for every dive I was tired for I'd probably never dive though.

Lots of people probably remember the recent Malta incident, where a diver (Castillo) was charged for the death of his dive-buddy (Gauci). Among the many things that went wrong, the first big red-flag was she (the one who died) had not gotten enough sleep. Then throughout the dive, a bunch of little things went wrong, and then something big went wrong. Almost all of it (by my estimation) stemmed from the lack of sleep.

In the past year, I went on a dive, where I too hadn't gotten enough sleep. It didn't take long for things to start going wrong. It took forever to get ready. My sidemount tanks were flopping everywhere, I had to return to the boat to fix. When getting back in the water, one of my fins fell off the boat. I happened to have a spare set, and decided to go looking for my fin, and then I started to develop cramps. I thankfully had the sense to call the dive. And thankfully, decided several weeks later (when I didn't get enough sleep) to pass on another dive.

Unkitting and re-kitting is a decent skill to have, but I personally would practice it in a safe environment, ideally in a shallow area with the surface not far above you, and the ground not far beneath you. Unkitting and re-kitting is a skill we did in my initial Open Water class in the pool (not sure if part of standard curriculum or what the instructor wanted to do), and also something I've seen in sidemount training.

Doing it while having several problems, including lack of sleep, and while (I presume) floating a good distance from the bottom is probably not a great idea.
I think I'll probably give it another shot at some point, it would be a good skill to have. I'd have to really think about it and play around in the quarry to see what I come up with. I have successfully done it before, but this time things just went sideways way too fast.

It's good you shared, because this is how we (the community) learns. We make mistakes and do dumb stuff from time to time, and while it's not great, it's also something people shouldn't be embarrassed by.
Not embarrassed at all.. as a matter of fact it's the 1st thing I laughed about with everyone back on the boat. I will hang this scenario on my mental wall of shame for sure though!!

Scuba gear remove and replace is a critical skill. If you think it is challenging, you should practice it a lot.

If your gear configurations i.e., weight distribution is so non-optimal that it makes it excessively challenging, perhaps you should make some adjustments.

I’ve had to take my tank off dozens of times, but I am probably more clumsy than many people. I would be terrified to dive solo if I didn’t feel reasonably confident that I could clear an entanglement.

I too have been bothered by a leak, but at a depth of 12 feet it is probably not that big of deal, so I agree that this particular circumstance might have been better handled-by ignoring it or going to the boat, however it provides a valuable reminder that you need work.

If your take away lesson is not to ever remove and replace when a problem develops while solo, I think you are off the mark.

I think I'll probably give it another shot at some point, it would be a good skill to have. I'd have to really think about it and play around in the quarry to see what I come up with. I have successfully done it before, but this time things just went sideways way too fast.

I've got to get in on this. It would be good for me to practice as well. Need to get a GoPro first so we can laugh at ourselves post-dive!

A balanced kit in a dry suit and doubles? LOL..

When I dive dry here at home (39 degree water), I require no additional weight with 2xHP100 steels (or 2xLP85 steels), even with lofty thermals for warmth. Take off my doubles/plate, and I am a Polaris Missal to the surface...

It is what we have to deal with...

Scuba gear remove and replace is a critical skill. If you think it is challenging, you should practice it a lot.

If your gear configurations i.e., weight distribution is so non-optimal that it makes it excessively challenging, perhaps you should make some adjustments.

I’ve had to take my tank off dozens of times, but I am probably more clumsy than many people. I would be terrified to dive solo if I didn’t feel reasonably confident that I could clear an entanglement.

I too have been bothered by a leak, but at a depth of 12 feet it is probably not that big of deal, so I agree that this particular circumstance might have been better handled-by ignoring it or going to the boat, however it provides a valuable reminder that you need work.

If your take away lesson is not to ever remove and replace when a problem develops while solo, I think you are off the mark.
Thanks coach! One can only hope to one day be as great as you:)... until then I'll just keep at it... keep on practicing. Even though I said I'm an idiot for going about it the way I did, you also calling me out on it is a real game changer for me. It's exactly what I needed to hear.... good talk!

When you're ready for some real world cold water dives let me know... I'd love to get you on camera to show some of these killer skills so we can all learn a thing or 2!
I've got to get in on this. It would be good for me to practice as well. Need to get a GoPro first so we can laugh at ourselves post-dive!
This would be awesome... I tried this with our mutual buddy and was fairly successful, but it's a bitch with all that gear. I'm sure it's possible to do somewhat efficiently though. Breakfast on me if you decide to make another trip down!

A balanced kit in a dry suit and doubles? LOL..

When I dive dry here at home (39 degree water), I require no additional weight with 2xHP100 steels (or 2xLP85 steels), even with lofty thermals for warmth. Take off my doubles/plate, and I am a Polaris Missal to the surface...

It is what we have to deal with...
I would like the record to show that I was only 1/2 a missal!!

When I dive dry here at home (39 degree water), I require no additional weight with 2xHP100 steels (or 2xLP85 steels), even with lofty thermals for warmth.
That's really interesting... you're a big guy? Like 6'6" or something? Gosh I'm 5'11" coming it at 195 and I need an extra 10#'s or so (with LP85's, never tried 120's). That's with Halo 3D and thick liners, thick socks etc. Bp is the usual 5#

I'm 6'-7", 240#, and I don't float in freshwater...

DUI cf200 w/ some old Bare (400?) heavy undergarments. Plate is a SS DSS x-long (6#?). Turtle fins too (fairly negative).

If it is super cold and I want to run more air, I'll put 5# in the channel of my plate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom