A diver winging to dive but has sleep apnea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know many divers with sleep apnea. I sometimes see CPAP machines used on liveaboard dive boats or boats boarded the night before an early departure here in southern California. It comes down to details. See your doctor.

Always good to check with your doctor, but I have sleep apnea and I have been diving for almost a year now with no problelms. I would think the only potential issue might how your apena affects your blood pressure (unless you intend to sleep while you're diving!). Once again, check with your doctor.

I have sleep apnea and it's not an issue with diving.

Check with your doctor and DAN for more details, don't fret. Go diving.
Posted via Mobile Device

Generally yes, but you must be cleared of other problems linked to sleep apnea. If all you have is purely sleep apnea, you are good to go.

Hi Jmd3800,

You don't mention whether you have obstructive (OSA) or central sleep apnea (CSA), although the former is more likely.

In either event, it essentially depends upon how well controlled the condition is and the presence of any worrisome signs and symptoms. Uncontrolled sleep apnea can increase the risk for high blood pressure and for heart attack, heart failure and irregular heartbeat. Perhaps of even more concern to the diver, it can result in sleep deprivation and hypoxia that can impair attention, concentration, memory, and information processing and psychomotor speed.

Here's an item I posted elsewhere last month. It may prove informative:

"I've dove with several board member who have sleep apnea and think they might find the following interesting:

"Coroner raps doctor over diver's death April 24, 2009

A doctor should have more thoroughly investigated a man's sleeping disorder before clearing him as medically fit to dive, an inquest has found.

Queensland coroner Michael Barnes found Dr Greg Emerson could have further queried Dr Stephen Broe's sleep apnoea before certifying him as fit to undertake specialty deep dives in early 2005.

Dr Broe, 45, died on April 28, 2005, shortly after completing a dive to a depth of 50 metres off the coast of Moreton Island near Brisbane.

The inquest, held in Brisbane in March, was told Dr Broe had just completed the final dive in a technical deep-diving course when he immediately complained of burning pain in his chest and severe shortness of breath.

Despite assistance from people on the boat, Dr Broe lapsed into unconsciousness and died a few minutes later.

Mr Barnes on Friday found Dr Broe's cause of death was decompression sickness, also known as The Bends.

In his findings, Mr Barnes said the effect of Dr Broe's sleep apnoea on his ability to perform deep dives should have been further investigated.

However, he made no recommendations Dr Emerson be referred to the Medical Board, saying there was "no evidence the doctor was lax or cavalier" in his assessment of Dr Broe.

In his findings, Mr Barnes said diving doctors rarely come across sufferers of sleep apnoea.

Mr Barnes recommended a review of dive medical guidelines in light of evidence given during the inquest.

He also suggested the dive industry review how deep divers exit the water, saying the current standard practice for them to climb onto the back of the boat may place them under unnecessary exertion. AAP"

My $0.02 worth:

The article doesn't mention what, if any, treatment the diver was undergoing for his sleep apnea. The individual who is being properly treated (e.g., CPAP) and responding well, has no worrisome nasal or other upper airway problems, and has none of the other conditions that can be related to obstructive sleep apnea and could raise the risk of SCUBA (e.g., depression, obesity, poor physical conditioning, pulmonary hypertension and other cardiac problems), should be able to dive safely.

As an aside, the diver with untreated, improperly treated or unresponsive sleep apnea probably has abnormal levels of CO2. These high levels of CO2 can be further elevated by diving at depth and increase the risk of nitrogen narcosis and CO2 and O2 toxicity.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

While not a medical doctor, I do suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. I have slept with a cpap machine for almost half of my life now even AFTER having surgery. I don't seem to suffer at all from having it, other than the odd look of people trying to figure out what my cpap machine does and how it works. :D

A serious question.....is this where you just fall asleep unexpectedly ....and if it is....would not a full face mask be in order?

A serious question.....is this where you just fall asleep unexpectedly ....and if it is....would not a full face mask be in order?

No, that is narcolepsy.

Consult your Doctor or DAN Diver's Alert Network. I am not a Medical professional. Please seek advise from a medical Professional.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom