Spear fishing newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaginwagon13

Registered
Reaction score
I have been scuba diving for the past 5 years so I am familiar with everything that goes on. I wanted to try spear fishing but all the 'charters' say they wont take rookie's on spearfishing trips and I dont feel confident enough to go with a friend because he is just starting ut as well so how do you gain experiance?

Try provide a bit more information. Where are you going to spearfish? How deep? How is the visibility, normally? Small fish? Bigger fish? Do you have ANY experience with guns of any type?
All this will help to give you advice on what gun would be a good choice, how to set it up, what fish to look for...etc.

Shaginwagon13, welcome to the board, can you help us out a little bit? Fill in your profile with logged dives, experiences, where you are. . . we are a worldwide group of divers, and someone close to you can give you answers better than some one across the world.

Tell all of us where you are, and someone can give you the answers for the boats and captains. Also, to meet the divers in your area. . . click on the "forums" button at the top of the page, then scroll way down the list of topics til you reach "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs". When you click on the country, then area of the country, you'll find local posts. You may find someone in your own town. . . that's the source for information. Many spearfishermen will help you get started, with your local conditions.

Hey,
Im new to spear fishing as well. I started out by going with people who are experienced at it, however, you are going to be a nuesence to them... I started out by going without a gun or spear, and just watched. Then I got myself a gun and followed along and took a couple of shots, got my line tangled, got tangled myself, so on and so on... so then I decided to forget the gun and go get a sling... I have been using a sling and will returne to the gun when I get more confident.

In Short:
1) Go with someone who has more experience
2) Tag along without a gun
3) Start with a Sling
4) Get a gun
5) Go with someone who has more experience

Yes, the best thing you can do is learn from somebody that can take you out. See if your local shop knows somebody with experience that would be willing to take you with them to learn. Expect to pay your way and help out with expenses more than normal considering they will be taking their time to help you learn. It will be worth it if you find somebody cool to dive with. This is a sport that is difficult to learn on your own. Besides, it's much more fun with dive buddies that spearfish as well.

Always dive with a buddy and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom