Dive rite Bcs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg98

Reaction score
:banging:

I am a new diver (18 dives) looking to buy new equipment. Have decided on back inflation BC. What about Dive rite? They look to the best, that and Halycon. Suggestions and feedback please.
Thanks,
E

There are so many threads here about this issue i.e Dive Rite vs. Halcyon, do your research..... keep banging your head because you will be confused..... then decide, as easy as 1 2 3. :wink:

I own, use and like the Transpac II. In my opinion it is the best all-around solution on the market. (I have also accumulated one backpack (not a BC), three jacket BCs, and two backplates with wings over the years, and I still dive them all, depending on what I'm doing. This weekend past, for example, I dove the Transpac with travel wings and an AL80, the AL backplate with "Classic" wings and steel 95's, and the steel BP with "Rec" wings and steel 85's) If I had to junk all but one BC, I would keep the Transpac II (and all three wings). If I were buying the first time, and were diving only single tanks, I'd get the Transpac and travel wings - and then get the Classic or Rec wings when going to doubles. If I were buying the first time and already diving doubles and singles, and could only afford one wing I'd get the Rec wing.
Whatever you do, my advice is to get in the water with the BC or BP/wing and swim around with it - if you can get a loaner then make a few dives with it - before making your decision. Buy what is easiest and safest and feels best for you, regardless of anyone else's opinion.
Rick

I know plenty of people that use the TP2 and love it.

You should probably look the OMS IQ Pack and a BP or two if you have the opportunity.

I have a BP and my buddy has an IQ.

Peter

I have a TPII with travel wing and really like it. I have tried other combinations – BP’s and jackets and wouldn’t dive anything else - It suits the diving I like to do - warm water reef. It’s small and light so travels well in planes.

I think if did my diving closer to home or did penetration wreak or cave diving then I could easily be persuaded to move over to BP.

But, this is only my preference and opinion – check out other posts (as Indodive suggests) – there are lots of them – lots of people use BP’s for all their diving which is fair enough – Rick M has the right idea – try as many as you can then buy the one which is “easiest and safest and feels best for you”. I think you should listen to as many opinions as you can bear (there are lost of them on this board) but don’t be bullied into believing that anyone has the “right answer”.

Ian

IanH once bubbled...
I think you should listen to as many opinions as you can bear (there are lost of them on this board) but don’t be bullied into believing that anyone has the “right answer”.

Ian

Totally agree with Ian opinion, but considering that this will be your first back inflated BC, I would suggest you to go to Dive Rite. Its more traditional set up and not as "intimidating" as BP. This way you can get familiarized with a back inflate BC.

One of my considerations to go for Dive Rite is that in some of my dive, I am required to put on my BC in the water. When I look at BP and how tight its set up has to be, I am concerned that it will be kinda difficult to put on and put off in the water. Again I could be wrong but its set up scares me a bit.

I should add that before I bought my Transpac, Dive-Rite shipped a loaner up to my LDS for me to try, so I was able to dive it a few times with both singles & doubles before buying. That was five or six years ago - I don't know if they still do that routinely or not... but it sure impressed me and I've been happy with my dealings with Dive-Rite ever since. (They have some wonderful toys!)
Rick

I've been considering buying a Transpac II as my first BC as well. Problem for me is that there aren't any Dive-Rite dealers in my state. You all are right in that there are tons of threads in the archives talking about Transpac, but most of them are full of the Transpac guys and BP/Wing people arguing back and forth -- they didn't really clear a whole lot up for me.

So my dilemma is that the Transpac II seems like a great pickup, but I'm not able to try one on in my current situation . . . what should I do? Is it good enough that I can buy with confidence having never tried one on?

Thanks for all the great advise, and I will research all the threads on the board for further advise. It was a case of asking first and then looking at all the various opionions, which are greatly varied.
Being new to the sport I have a million questions about the gear. I am in Germany (US Army) and there are no dive shops here to look and ask questions. Thanks again for the info!

E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom