Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AuburnFan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving, just started 3 months ago, and was wondering where a good spot would be for my first ocean dive. I have dove Vortex Springs and ABWA but thats it. Just looking for some suggestions. Preferably the pan handle of FL or the GA coast.

Thanks.

What shop did you cert with? Do you have OW or AOW?

I've been to the Jetty in St. Andrews state park in PCB. You'll want to go with someone who is familiar with the area because the current can be a little swift.

You can dive some artificial reefs out of Destin or Pensacola.

Panama City -- Dive Locker does charters to wrecks. The 2 I've done were over 100 feet. Destin: Emerald Coast Scuba and Scuba Tech (both PADI) do charters out of Destin Harbor to wrecks and "reefs" (mostly rocks). Scuba Shop of Fort Walton (NAUI) doesn't have their own boat, but they go out a lot with a shop I believe from Alabama, which shares their boat. The boat docks on the Destin side of the Destin Br. just inside Choctawhatchee Bay. All 3 charge about $100 for 2 tank dives. Scuba Tech assigned a DM with me ($20) as it was my first OW dive, and deeper than 60 fsw.

Last edited:
What shop did you cert with? Do you have OW or AOW?

I got certified by Planet Ocean dive shop in Columbus, GA. I only have my OW cert so far.

You'd probably need AOW but don't forget the Oriskany off of Pensacola.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

You missed the Oriskany trip this past weekend. That one is better after you've got a few dives under your belt anyhow.

I've dived with Scubatech in the past, they're a good dive operation. The fellas at Planet Ocean are lining up a drive trip through Scubatech to occur around the third week of August.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I guess i will need to talk to my LDS more and get more training.

I dont think you need more training. More practice maybe, but you dont have to be AOW to dive alot of places. Most places want you to have at least 20 dives to dive the Oriskany.

Well I'm always up for logging more dives so that shouldn't be a problem. I would really like to dive the Oriskany sometime this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom