7-10 days in April - where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've come to the decision to go to Puerto Galera, probably at El Galleon. I understand the diving isn't up to Raja / Tubbataha, but it's nicer than the nicest I've done so far (Red Sea and Bonaire). It's also much cheaper, and more importantly easier to get to. Thank you every one!

That is a great choice and the diving will be amazing. You are also sensible as you are avoiding the Philippine fuddle factor where travel to more remote places can and will go wrong and take longer than expected

I've come to the decision to go to Puerto Galera, probably at El Galleon. I understand the diving isn't up to Raja / Tubbataha, but it's nicer than the nicest I've done so far (Red Sea and Bonaire). It's also much cheaper, and more importantly easier to get to. Thank you every one!
If you have 7-10 days then Anilao + PG is would be more interesting. Ought to try the Blackwater diving in Anilao if available(no personal experience on that but have seen the pictures).
Anilao is about 3hrs from Manila airport.
PG is just a short ride from Anilao to Batangas Pier and a quick ferry(60mins) across + another short ride on trike.
The direct private transfer from Manila to PG is about US$300.00 one way!!!!!!!!
If you want to go directly to PG then I would suggest you should spend the first night in Manila(Mabini) and then catch the Si-Kat transfer on following morning.
The home picture is White Beach which is miles away from Sabang.
Private transfer from Batangas Pier to airport is P5,000.00(~US$92.00). Public bus to Manila is P300.00. Taxi is about P300.00 from bus terminal. P600.00 is about US$11.00. If your flight out from Manila is in the morning then catch the Si-kat to Manila.
Public transport is perfectly safe but very slow and can be confusing if you do not know where to get off.

If your flight touch down at Terminal 3 then change the money there.
There are numerous money exchange places in Mabini(Malete) but some of them is questionable. Ignore anyone holding a card approaching and say good rate. SCAM. The area is pretty safe but you have to be very careful if walking out at night. Quite seedy in some areas though. Look it up on youtube!!!

I just booked at El Galleon in Puerto Galera through Bluewater Dive Travel for the end of March of 2025 for 10 days. They can put together a package for you, and they have some dive specials going on right now, and the single occupancy penalty is tolerable. BDT is a U.S.-based dive travel agency and I've used them now a few times for more complex trips. The transfer from Manila to PG is a bit involved, so I'm having them make those arrangements too. You'll need to stay at least one night in Manila upon arrival then on to PG the next day.

Something to note, El Galleon is the only operator on PG that has a pier/dock. Other operators, you have to get on the boat by wading in the water. That was the selling point for me, even more than Atlantis. And I've read good things about Asia Divers, their dive op.

I stayed for almost a week at the La Laguna beach club in October which is on the northern end on the nicest beach in the area and as far as you can get from the noise and hustle of Sabang beach. I visited many of the different ops and talked to lots of folks during the week. El Galleon is fine, as is Asia divers and you will get to meet a lot of Korean and Chinese divers and experience many different brands of cigarettes. On the other hand, La Laguna has a pretty nice tech diving setup which is run by an Irish fellow with a staff of highly experienced Filipino DMs catering to a European crowd.

Why I would return to La Laguna:
1. Tech shop happy to support me with side mount, gas mix etc with a DM diving the same setup.
2. 4-5 dive times a day
3. Great Staff
4. Quiet nicely appointed rooms with a great restaurant and bar with a really good view.
5. Locals bring lumpia, dumplings, food stuffs around. But almost NO high pressure vendors (unlike around Sabang town)
6. Low pressure vibe away from discos / girly clubs.

I would rather walk 10 minutes into town for dinner and back to have a quiet night on a nice beach. The Scandia divers resort next door to la Laguna is almost as nice and where I would stay if La Laguna were full.

If I only had 10 days in the Philippines, I would fly into Manila, catch the jumper to Coron and dive the wrecks there for 3 days, then fly back to manila, taxi to batangas and ferry across the PG for another 5 days before heading back home. You do lose a day of diving, but I love those wrecks!

Have fun and enjoy the diving!

@JDelage
Very sensible plan.
Just few a few suggestions.
1. KE lands at T1 and I do not think there is any decent hotel nearby. If you are taking the Si-kat transfer then it is obvious to find a place in Mabini or even at City State Tower Hotel. P300.00-P400.00 for the taxi to Mabini. Take the white ordinary taxi rather than the yellow airport taxi.
2. @profmason has suggested a very reputable operator for you to ponder. Contact both operators and then decide.
3. You would not have time to make one dive on your second last day. Just take it easy.
4. Make sure you arrive early at NAIA. T1 is a dump.
Something to note, El Galleon is the only operator on PG that has a pier/dock. Other operators, you have to get on the boat by wading in the water. That was the selling point for me, even more than Atlantis. And I've read good things about Asia Divers, their dive op.
That is the main issue at Sabang beach but only at low tide.
No such issue at either Small or Big La Laguna Beach.

Back
Top Bottom