when to move on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering, when and how do you guys know you are READY for other kind of diving (Wreck/Cave/Deco diving etc) :confused:

I have always enjoyed reading articles or watching video clips on
wreck/cave/deep diving and am fascinated by it. And I wish that one day I will be able to do them too. :thinkof:

BUT :( those are really serious kind of diving, the terms deco stop, stage bottle, twins, trimix etc sure freak me out :wacko:

How do you guys know you are ready for that ??

If you try it and like it, and you meet all the other criterion too, then you're ready.

Carlos Eyles wrote a book called Easy Diving and it sort of talks to this in a philosophical way.

Some people never move on to anything further than recreational diving. There is nothing wrong in that what so ever.

If and when you feel the need to explore areas that until then you had no desire to venture into. That will be when you are ready. Try not to confuse curiosity and a sense of amazement with the urge to do it yourself, be honest with yourself. Some people love to watch the videos and read the stories, some even imagine themselves in the situation they are seeing or reading about. But when it comes to venturing into dark, deep, confining and considerably more dangerous dives, they may not go beyond the imagination stage. As I said at the start, there is nothing wrong with that at all. You have to set your limits and be honest with yourself about the limit you have set. This is not to say that at some time in the future you revise that limit and explore newer and more challenging dives. But you will get their when you feel right at home with full confidence with where you are in your training and skills.

Not everyone can climb Mount Everest, not everyone can travel into space, but everyone dreams they can. Those who push beyond their limits fall into two categories. Those who lived to tell about it, and those who didn't. Those who stay within their limits tend to live longer. To quote an old saying, "their are old pilots and their are bold pilots, but their are no old bold pilots".

Take your time, enjoy yourself, learn, train, and practice. You'll know when it's time to explore further.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
Some people never move on to anything further than recreational diving. There is nothing wrong in that what so ever.

If and when you feel the need to explore areas that until then you had no desire to venture into. That will be when you are ready. Try not to confuse curiosity and a sense of amazement with the urge to do it yourself, be honest with yourself. Some people love to watch the videos and read the stories, some even imagine themselves in the situation they are seeing or reading about. But when it comes to venturing into dark, deep, confining and considerably more dangerous dives, they may not go beyond the imagination stage. As I said at the start, there is nothing wrong with that at all. You have to set your limits and be honest with yourself about the limit you have set. This is not to say that at some time in the future you revise that limit and explore newer and more challenging dives. But you will get their when you feel right at home with full confidence with where you are in your training and skills.

Not everyone can climb Mount Everest, not everyone can travel into space, but everyone dreams they can. Those who push beyond their limits fall into two categories. Those who lived to tell about it, and those who didn't. Those who stay within their limits tend to live longer. To quote an old saying, "their are old pilots and their are bold pilots, but their are no old bold pilots".

Take your time, enjoy yourself, learn, train, and practice. You'll know when it's time to explore further.

Damn good way of putting it, couldn't have said it better myself.

Only thing I would add is if you're interested in trying some of these things, say wreck and deep diving, start by taking a speciality course and getting introduced to this new type of diving in a way that is supervised by an experienced Instructor that can teach you the basics of it and is MUCH less expensive then say taking a TDI Advanced Nitrox or Extended Range course. If you don't think it's the type of diving you want to do you haven't dropped $300 to $400 for nothing. If you deside you enjoy it and want to learn more then it's time to get into the more extensive courses.

Scott

Well, when you've got the urge to learn it and you've met the prerequisites for the class, checked it out thoroughly, then your ready to move on. (into the class that leads to where you want to go)

-Dennis

animian2002 once bubbled... [/i
Just wondering, when and how do you guys know you are READY for other kind of diving (Wreck/Cave/Deco diving etc) :confused:

I have always enjoyed reading articles or watching video clips on
wreck/cave/deep diving and am fascinated by it. And I wish that one day I will be able to do them too. :thinkof:

BUT :( those are really serious kind of diving, the terms deco stop, stage bottle, twins, trimix etc sure freak me out :wacko:

How do you guys know you are ready for that ??

I agree with PT,very well stated.You will know when the time has come,follow your instincts and find the best instructor you can--it's all about training,training.training!!!!!!The more dives you make the more experience you will accrue,pay attention and learn.I say take it slow and easy,this is'nt a contest to see how fast you can get different certs,but to try and make yourself a safe and competent diver.Dive safe,Dive well----

ASTA---

SCUBA STEVE

:mean: :mean:

You're young, you have 40-50 years left to see it all.
If you are not bored, or absolutely SURE you are ready, then slow down & enjoy. This is not a race.
When you do not need to ask, then you will be ready.

PT40 said it best.

'Nuff said!

Back
Top Bottom