Dive Boat Rinse Tanks found to contain bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow I think we already knew that.

In my view a boats rinse tank is just that, a rinse tank. It is not a substitute for a good washing. MY mask or regs don't go in them, ever.

thanks for the link.

well..... I quit using "mask buckets" to put my mask in and rinse it in after discussion of masks, snot, bacteria and that crews never clean/sanitize those buckets.

they are just "germ buckets"

the rinse bucket is disgusting

I imagine it's no less disgusting than what you're jumping into. The ocean is full of bacteria.

no I would prefer the ocean for sure if it wasn't from a polluted area then your chances are 50 50 I'd guess. I worked with bacteria extensively in a meat safety lab for a while, got comfortable with them and did extra environmental testing around my house and other places just because I knew my time at the lab would be limited and the knowledge would be helpful. I remember testing a toilet which basically represents the cleaning buckets...i tested everything from slices of pizza to the wal mart bathroom door handle to my own cabinets and freezer, and I am sure there are differences between the bucket and the ocean or any other closed container that fosters specific bacteria that can make you sick. then again, with basic sanitization practices dones regularly I'd for sure take the bucket over the ocean! depends on care.

the ocean has temperature consistency, relative dilution and competition in its favor. the dive buckets if not regularly cleaned develop biofilms that retain bad bacteria that bloom when the bucket gets hot in the sun or goes anaerobic in places for whatever reason. since the major population source of bucket germs would be human in nature, your risk for oral bateria and enteric bacteria are specific to humans whereas in the ocean bacteria are adapted for other means largely and in the places we dive tend to be oxygenized well which restricts a decent portion of common disease causing pathogens. depends on care, that's the real science. there are food safety surfactant cleaners and water additives that would be safe to soak masks in, such as quat-4 possibly or others meant for food contact surface. this is easily remedied if basic steps would be taken. one could also rig up aquarium pumps to circulate cleaner tanks through UV sterilizers, that's what i would do. there are even submersible UV sterilizers meant for 90+ gallon reef tanks, these would scrub your cleaner tanks well used in tandem with food safety chems

Last edited:
I imagine it's no less disgusting than what you're jumping into. The ocean is full of bacteria.

Not only bacteria but a lot of living creatures, and some really disgusting creatures covered with black neoprene, fins, masks, alu tank and hoses that make bubbles all over the place.
Now seriously, what would you expect of a bucket where divers rinse their masks and snorkel where every diver put it's nose and mouth in ?

I'm far from a germophobe and will continue using rinse buckets. When you were getting certified, you don't think there was bacteria on the rental gear you stuck in your mouths? What about inside your buddy's mouth when you shared air during training and/or practice? Ever lose a reg underwater? Think there isn't bacteria underwater? Ever tried a mask on at the LDS? The more I'm exposed, the more my immunity will build up to "invicible!" ;-)

All kidding aside, everywhere we go and everything we do exposes us to germs and bacteria. Over-obsessing about it just serves those that fund/do the studies. I wasn't sick growing up anymore than the kids that are forced to wash 10 times a day, sanitize everything, etc. In fact, probably less.

ver-obsessing about it just serves those that fund/do the studies. I wasn't sick growing up anymore than the kids that are forced to wash 10 times a day, sanitize everything, etc. In fact, probably less.

Yup. All this antibiotic soap and whatnot probably tends to weaken (or more accurately not fully develop) the immune system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom