Monterey Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NateSmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out with some friends (Don and Alex) today. We dove this morning without seeing a single halibut. Don cut out early to go and eat lunch with a friend who's visiting him in town. Alex and I went to the dive shop, got my tank filled, and went back out.

Anywho, here's a pic. Will load more later when I get them in e-mail.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/tejanopirate/photo.jpg

I don't hunt, but I certainly don't see a lot of halibut out in the popular dive sites in Monterey. We happened across a really big guy hiding in the sand at Breakwater before, but besides that, nothing but sand dabs :)

Nice catch..or spear rather! Where did you guys get him? Del Monte in the sand flats..?

Not a hunter either..don't like fish!

Have seen some big ones in the sand at S Monastery but nowhere else? I think Monastery is now off limits to hunters now though? Saw a huge Angel Shark that day too,very cool..at least 5ft long! Always have my eyes peeled in the sand now!

Halibut steaks on the grill?

Drew

The point lobos SMR (state marine reserve) has a northern limit @ 36.31 degrees North latitude. Monastery beach according to google maps lies @ 36.52 degrees North latitude. This puts monastery beach north of the SMR, allowing spearfishing. It DOES however lie within the Carmel Bay SMCA, which means that "the recreational take of finfish is allowed."

Sources: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/jpegs/ccmpas/carmellobos_chart.jpg, Monastery Beach: a Beach in Monterey County, California, California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act Initiative (see carmel bay SMCA notes)

EDIT: Google maps says 36.31 extends about half way up Carmel Bay..... I think it might be off limits afterall

The point lobos SMR (state marine reserve) has a northern limit @ 36.31 degrees North latitude. Monastery beach according to google maps lies @ 36.52 degrees North latitude. This puts monastery beach north of the SMR, allowing spearfishing. It DOES however lie within the Carmel Bay SMCA, which means that "the recreational take of finfish is allowed."

Sources: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/jpegs/ccmpas/carmellobos_chart.jpg, Monastery Beach: a Beach in Monterey County, California, California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act Initiative (see carmel bay SMCA notes)

EDIT: Google maps says 36.31 extends about half way up Carmel Bay..... I think it might be off limits afterall
MarineMammel, you're right. It looks like south reef or Monastery is in the Point Lobos State Marine Reserve. The CDFG link you refer to has bigger PDF file which shows the boundaries of the Reserve suggesting the south reef is included. Marine Life Protection Act Map - Carmel

I've seen people diving with spears before, apparently illegally. News to me, but definitely good to know. Could you imagine crawling up the berm at Monastery lugging a big fish up only to find yourself looking at the polished boot of a DFG agent. Man what a bummer. Either way, I love that dive, so much to see...I'm sort of glad it's protected.

I've never seen a halibut, a big one anyway, only baby sand dabs. I'd love to know where they're hiding.

I used to hunt at Monastery before it closed. Now I just stick to Del Monte Beach so I don't have to worry about it.

The DFG guys are usually pretty easy to work with. They're a good group of guys and are normally a wealth of information on good hunting/fishing spots. They can be a lot of fun to work with.

I'm heading over to hunt halibut with my new speargun this weekend. Call me @ 408-636-3640 if you're interested.

Thats July 18-19, scuba dives probably @ Del Monte Beach. Some people spotted a couple just outside the kelp on lover's point 3 also last weekend. I'd also like to try Tioga Ave also. I'll be there 9 am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom