Newbie question about weighting/buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

03bowtie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im sure this has been asked before but I have done a search and can get a clear answer to my question.

I know there is no exact math to it, but is there a recomendation for new divers that determines how much weight is needed for body size, gear, etc.

I am 5'10, 200 lbs, decent muscle, using a 100cfm steel tank, no wet suit, diving the fl keys, no more than 50 feet deep.

I need to buy a new weight belt with the soft pouches but need an idea of how much weight needed before i go do a buoyancy check on my first dive. I have lost almost 40 lbs since last year and was borrowing a friends weight belt so that doesnt help me much. I dont remember how much weight i was using sorry.

Any help here is appreciated.

Given your build, I'd say if you're not wearing a wetsuit then you won't need any weight at all with that tank.

R..

Agree with Diver0001, although I would recommend you wear 1-2 kilos to account for tank at the end of the dive.

Given your build, I'd say if you're not wearing a wetsuit then you won't need any weight at all with that tank.

R..

ditto---that's me in a nutshell.....

Agreed you probably need no lead.

Pete

Im sure this has been asked before but I have done a search and can get a clear answer to my question.

I know there is no exact math to it, but is there a recomendation for new divers that determines how much weight is needed for body size, gear, etc.

I am 5'10, 200 lbs, decent muscle, using a 100cfm steel tank, no wet suit, diving the fl keys, no more than 50 feet deep.

I need to buy a new weight belt with the soft pouches but need an idea of how much weight needed before i go do a buoyancy check on my first dive. I have lost almost 40 lbs since last year and was borrowing a friends weight belt so that doesnt help me much. I dont remember how much weight i was using sorry.

Any help here is appreciated.

If I remember correctly the water in Florida Keys is mid 70's so I think you're going to get cold diving there with no wetsuit. I dove there in a 3/2 suit.

Adam

I have been diving the fl keys for about 10 years. The water in july august is usually around 80 degrees. I never wear a wetsuit, im just not comfortable in one. I dove last year with about 15 pounds and had some issues with buoyancy. I am 200 lbs without gear so probably 240 250 with the 100 tank. That thing is heavy.

Is there a general rule of thumb.

Why do u feel i dont need any weight?

The big variable is the buoyancy of your BC. I'm 5'11", 220 and with steel tank in SW with my UL BC (neutral) I take no additional weight. So, I'd say you will probably end up with no lead. Why not borrow a weight belt and put 2 X 2 pounders on it and then try removing the weights at the end of the dive and see if you can re-submerge.

I have been diving the fl keys for about 10 years. The water in july august is usually around 80 degrees. I never wear a wetsuit, im just not comfortable in one. I dove last year with about 15 pounds and had some issues with buoyancy. I am 200 lbs without gear so probably 240 250 with the 100 tank. That thing is heavy.

Is there a general rule of thumb.

Why do u feel i dont need any weight?

One way is to do a buoyancy check with a near empty tank, all air out of BC, and near the surface you should be neutrally buoyant.

Adam

So the reason i had to use so much weight before was because I was using a 80 aluminum.

Ill check it out in a week or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom