How many stars in French CMAS system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The correct name is, FFESSM (French Federation of Underwater Study and Sports)
3* is most likely

Hi,

there are actually five levels and then four levels for instructors.

Les niveaux de pratique :
* Plongeur niveau I
* Plongeur niveau II
* Plongeur niveau III
* Plongeur niveau IV
* Plongeur niveau V

Les niveaux d'enseignement :
* Niveau E1, Initiateur
* Niveau E2, Plongeur Niveau IV et Initiateur
* Niveau E3, Moniteur Fédéral 1er degré
* Niveau E4, Moniteur Fédéral 2e degré

all details are here:
Fédération française d'études et de sports sous-marins - Wikipédia

Hope this helps.

* Plongeur niveau I OW
* Plongeur niveau II AOW
* Plongeur niveau III RSQ
* Plongeur niveau IV Mostlikely DM
* Plongeur niveau V Beats me

I'm not sure what you mean by the French CMAS. CMAS is a French organisation to start with and I'm not familiar with SFEFFM. Doesn't matter though.

My understanding is that CMAS does indeed have a 4 star system. What exactly the 4 star means I'm not sure because you don't become a 4 star diver through taking a course as you would for 1, 2 or 3 star. A 4 star diver is a grading given to divers of above average experience. I think it is only awarded on nomination basis but I could be wrong.

Here is the Standards and Requirements document from the CMAS website.

Here are two quotes from the document regarding a 4 star diver:
"A three star diver who has attained a higher than average level of knowledge and ability supported by broad experience. He will be competent to use divers and diving to achieve major tasks or project objectives."

and

"It is not considered that this level will be reached following a course of fixed content, but rather as the result of experience acquired over an extended period and incorporating a broad range of conditions and requirements."

Hope that answers your question.

*** EDIT ***
Jeepers, seems a number of posts have been made while I typed this one which answered your question better. Seems FFESSM was one of the founding members of CMAS (whatever that means). Ouch, now my head hurts.

I'm not sure what you mean by the French CMAS. CMAS is a French organisation to start with and I'm not familiar with SFEFFM. Doesn't matter though.

My understanding is that CMAS does indeed have a 4 star system. What exactly the 4 star means I'm not sure because you don't become a 4 star diver through taking a course as you would for 1, 2 or 3 star. A 4 star diver is a grading given to divers of above average experience. I think it is only awarded on nomination basis but I could be wrong.

Here is the Standards and Requirements document from the CMAS website.

Here are two quotes from the document regarding a 4 star diver:
"A three star diver who has attained a higher than average level of knowledge and ability supported by broad experience. He will be competent to use divers and diving to achieve major tasks or project objectives."

and

"It is not considered that this level will be reached following a course of fixed content, but rather as the result of experience acquired over an extended period and incorporating a broad range of conditions and requirements."

Hope that answers your question.

*** EDIT ***
Jeepers, seems a number of posts have been made while I typed this one which answered your question better. Seems FFESSM was one of the founding members of CMAS (whatever that means). Ouch, now my head hurts.

Indeed you have 4*. for the first 3 ones you take a course, but the last one is attained by nominamtion. You have to demonstrate to be really involved in diving and have to be recognized to have done something really inportant for the activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom