USS Sturtevant DD-240-----Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone,

My grandfather was on the USS Sturtevant when it sank April 26, 1942. I am a pen maker and I thought it would be a cool thing to have a piece of wood from my grandfather's ship so that I could make some pens for my brother, father, and myself.

I know that wood can be fairly "preserved" underwater. What do you think the chances of wood being intact on that wreck would be?

Are you or a friend going to dive that site anytime soon? If so, would you contact me?

Happy Dives!

Daniel

Hello Everyone,

My grandfather was on the USS Sturtevant when it sank April 26, 1942. I am a pen maker and I thought it would be a cool thing to have a piece of wood from my grandfather's ship so that I could make some pens for my brother, father, and myself.

I know that wood can be fairly "preserved" underwater. What do you think the chances of wood being intact on that wreck would be?

Are you or a friend going to dive that site anytime soon? If so, would you contact me?

Happy Dives!

Daniel

You might get better responses if you placed this somewhere other than the Florida Kayak forum. According to Wikipedia, Sturtevant went down off Key West about eight miles north of Marquesas Key. The Marquesas Keys form an uninhabited island group about 30 miles west of Key West. Not too many kayakers make it out there I'd think. Cool idea for a gift though.

Edit: I see that you also posted this in Florida Conch Divers

Thanks for the reply. I have hit the other boards too. I just thought that being so close to the Keys you all would have a better chance of getting to that site. Btw, my first kayak trip was from Flamingo, Fl and around Florida Bay into the Gulf. About a 60 mile round trip. It was a blast. I love watering in FL. thank again for the reply.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

6 threads merged
No duplicate posting please

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom