Naked, can’t swim !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was working part time for a shop not that long ago when I was asked to take a Korean girl for a resort dive. No problem.

I get to the shop and there she is. Very pretty, very excited about her first dive, very keen to get into the water. I introduce myself and then start getting her gear together. When I have finished and just about ready to go she asks

‘What do I wear under the wetsuit?’

I say usually a swimming suit or a bikini. (This is Sydney in the hight of summer, its hot outside).

She says that she doesn’t have one with her and would I mind if she just wears her underwear. I say no that’s fine as long as she’s comfortable. I also add in that I don’t mind waiting if she wants to go back to her hotel and get the one that she forgot to bring with her. She doesn’t want to so we are back to her wearing her underwear.

As we are leaving the shop she tells me that she just remembers that she doesn’t have any underwear on and would I mind if she just wears the wetsuit. A little taken aback I say that’s fine but if she wants to go back to the hotel and get a T-shirt and a pair of shorts that’s also ok. Nope, she doesn’t want to..and the morning is slowly wearing on.

So, 30 mins later we get to the dive site, I unload the gear and sit her down so that I can go through the gear and what she is about to experience. An hour later and I’m done. She’s happy and really keen to get in the water. One we are changed (I turned my back so that she had some privacy) and geared up we slowly make our way down to the waters edge. I then explain to her that we will surface swim to the buoy (20m away) and then descend down the line to the bottom (max depth 5m). She looks at me with a terrified look on her face and says:

‘You mean that I have to be able to swim to dive?’

And that’s the end of the that……We don’t dive, I take her back to the shop in tears. I’m furious that the shop when getting her to fill out the forms didn’t ask her if she could swim and she’s really mad that they didn’t tell her that she had to know how to swim.

Suffice to say that we both learned a lesson that day.

Coogeeman
:confused: :confused:

Was this a Discover Scuba type thing? Shouldn't there be some sort of pool session involved covering at least mask clearing and regulator sharing before going diving in open water? And even just getting used to breathing through a regulator!!

Just going by my intro to scuba about 3 years ago.

Just remembered that she wasn't wearing any underwear? That would seem to be a pretty basic inventory before leaving for the dive shop. . .let's see. . .watch, check. . .suntan lotion, check. . .underwear. . .oops!

I don't see a problem.

You can teach SCUBA, but you can't teach someone to swim? In a wet suit, with mask and fins, it just aint that hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom