Scuba Define

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The start of this thread is somewhat strange
this is due to the fact that poster 0 was a spammer and was deleted
Since it did became a thread,I'll leave it in place.
Have fun with it

S.C.U.B.A. is an acronym for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

1. The tanks need not be on your back.
2. The system requires a primary regulator and secondary regulatorto deliver the breathing gas at ambient pressure.
3. The tanks need not be of compressed air. Additional Oxygen or Helium can be added to create enriched air nitrox, trimix, heliox etc
4. There can be more than 2 tanks, of varying capacities.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCUBA is in itself an abbreviation or acronym of a definition.

All that any piece of equipment requires to be SCUBA is that it be Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. It can refer to any open circuit design, re-breathers, whether oxygen, SCR, mCCR, eCCR. Having a regulator or tanks or in fact any specific piece of equipment is not essential, only that you can carry it around with you and breath underwater with it.

Hey Rupert....

You are correct. I believed that Cousteau originated the term SCUBA.... but I read just now that it was originally used by the US Navy to desribe the O2 Rebreathers.

There is excellent info HERE.

DevonDiver:
The system requires a primary regulator and secondary regulatorto deliver the breathing gas at ambient pressure.

Does that mean my double hose, single stage regulator doesn't qualify?

DevonDiver:
I believed that Cousteau originated the term SCUBA

You believe incorrectly. It was originally used by the US Navy to refer to their use of rebreathers.

No worries. What I was trying to say was that I used to think that Cousteau was responsible for coining the term 'SCUBA' to describe his open-circuit design, but this thread prompted some research and I found out that this was not the case.

...and here I always thought it meant "Some Come Up Begging for Air."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom