Toggle pawl replacement for DS-125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Ikelite,

I have two Ikelite DS-125 battery packs with the defective toggle pawls. As you know, one of the packs (I have yet to use both battery packs in the water) broke before the official announcement from Ikelite. I have successfully replaced it using the kit sent by Mike, a member of your staff. I asked him to send me two just in case my second battery pack broke as well. Now, after the Ikelite announcement on June 22, it looks like I HAVE TO replace the second toggle pawl even before it breaks.

My problem is during the replacement of the first battery pack, the threaded end of the TOGGLE SHAFT broke, so I had to use the shaft from the second kit. Now, I need to replace the TOGGLE PAWL of my second battery pack, but I only have the toggle pawl from the second kit and no longer have a new toggle shaft.

My question is, is it okay to use the existing toggle shaft in the battery pack and just replace the defective toggle pawl? Thank you very much.

Regards,
Norman

It would be better to have Mike H. at Ikelite to send you another. When taking nut loose, the brass toggle shaft is most likely weakened from the locktite and nut. Some break during take apart and some don't. Better to replace.

Norman,
Thank you for using Ikelite products and sorry to hear about the problem with the toggle. It is not recommended that you use the existing toggle shaft.Please email ikelite@ikelite.com with your shipping address and we will be happy to send you another replacement toggle kit at no charge.

Regards, Rhonda/Ikelite - Customer Service

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for the clarification. I have already e-mailed you my mailing address. Thanks again.

Regards,
Norman

By the way, I'd like to suggest a different and better way of replacing the toggle pawl.

Step #8 of the PDF manual states that one should "grab and drop the hex nut into the toggle pawl." This is very difficult since ensuring that the threaded index (the threaded part) of the toggle goes inside the nut is a hit or miss procedure.

It is easier to drop the hex nut in the nut driver, place the battery pack on its side and, while pushing on the toggle pawl with one thumb, use the other hand to tighten the nut while inserting the nut driver in the toggle pawl.

It will save your customers too much perspiration! =B)

Regards,
Norman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom