Question What brand of battery is in the Vyper Novo Battery Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heruhur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know what brand of battery is in the Official Suunto Zoop/Vyper Novo battery kit?
(does that kit even exist or are dive shops giving it their own spin?)

Why I'm asking is the following,
I have the computer for 5 or 6 years. First replacements were done at the local dive shop. Until I got some "low batt" messages days after replacement.
Didn't think much of it at the time, but after a week on another dive day it give the messagae again after the second dive.
Brought it back to the dive shop indicating that they just replaced the battery and the computer indicates it's empty.
They replaced it free of charge ofcourse.
Then the next dive day, the same "low batt" again.
Now I was done with it and opened it up myself and found some cheap ass chinese brand of battery inside.
Replaced it with a duracell battery and the problems went away.
I did the replacements myself for a while after that.

A few weeks ago it was emty again and my wife (and buddy) pushed me to have it replaced at an official dealer (were going on a dive trip soon and she wanted the reassurance of an official replacement)

So I made one dive with it after that, went fine.
But today as I hook my Vyper up to my mac to download the dives the Vyper display goes blank.
And it didn't go ON anymore when pressing buttons.
So I opened it up . . . . cheap ass battery . . . . .
Removed it and put it back in . . . it started booting and then it went blank again.
Replaced it with a duracell battery and all is fine again.

So I think I'm being scammed by the dive shop.
The replacement was 35 euro's, a cheap ass battery costs 2 to 3 euro's. A duracell about 10 euro's.
If there is such a thing as an official suunto battery replacement kit, they sure are not using it. And I even doubt they replaced the O-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom