Pelham Alabama.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2degrees

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back home. Great day of diving at Pelham Al. Max depth 80'. H2O temp at depth 57 degrees. That is ice cold when you are down for 30 minutes. Next dive we hit 60' and worked our way back to warmer water. Total dive time on the last dive 55 min. Still had 700 psi.
2 seconds ago

How was the viz?

Did you hit the sailboat and school bus on those two dives? I dove those about a month ago and temp was 49 degrees

How was the viz?

Did you hit the sailboat and school bus on those two dives? I dove those about a month ago and temp was 49 degrees

49 degrees at the bus? :shocked2: You might need to recalibrate whatever device is giving you those temperature readings. That sounds a bit off.

Yeah how was the viz? The wife and I finished our OW there in May and the viz was 10-15', at best.

I have seen it 52 at the bus in January but not during the summer.. Have to agree with Docc there. Something is a bit off, your computer might need calibrating.

We hit the Pelham Key's last Thursday after work. It was COLD. My 3mil was no match past the thermocline at 40'. We just dove along the wall and tried to stay in the 68 degree water. It was amazing how quickly the temp droped. The Viz was terrible, maybe 5 feet in places. I'll try it again in September, should clear up some.

The vis was excellent in the morning; My guess would be 18 to 20 feet easy. We did see the sail boat and the bus. We actually swam through the bus, I tried smoking in the back of the bus but that just did not work out. After the bus we kept going and hit the big square box. I think the box is when we were at 80' and 57 degrees. All but one of us had 3 mill suits with a hood and glove. By 3:00 the vis had gone down some but it was still better than some places that I have dove.

On Saturday, BamaMedic, BrockBR and myself did a marathon swim of the entire quarry clockwise around the wall at about 40' or so. Took an hour and 45 minutes but what's a few kick cycles when you're having fun. We even ran into one of the big ole koi goldfish things way over on the south wall . Yesterday Brock, Chip and I did it counterclockwise on scooters. Much less time and far less strenuous. :D What you find is that the viz on the far wall where nobody ever goes is 40 or so feet in some places. It's also 25 to 30 feet if you get past 100' where not many people go.

While the rains and flora have caused some of the bad viz at BW this year, most of the horrible viz is around the platforms and "touristy" areas (boat, bus, firetrucks, camper) where classes train and lots of less experienced divers congregate. The viz is much better during the week and early in the mornings.

49 degrees at the bus? :shocked2: You might need to recalibrate whatever device is giving you those temperature readings. That sounds a bit off.

I might be remembering wrong. I will check the numbers and get the computer checked also.

I saw several with black scooters yesterday. At one point they were circling the platform like feeding fish. We all commented that they looked like they were having fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom