Pelham Alabama.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm oh so very jealous of the divers with the black scooters! Especially the one that has the "shark mouth" decals on the side :D

My calves are still sore from that marathon swim....

My calves are still sore from that marathon swim....

Yeah, me too. I figured you were just training for swimming against the flow in those cave things ya'll keep going in down in Florida.

Dont let her fool you Docc, she hides behind you and gets out of the flow.

I saw several with black scooters yesterday. At one point they were circling the platform like feeding fish. We all commented that they looked like they were having fun.

The guy with the tiny white sidemount cylinders and wringing out the scooter was me :D

Dont let her fool you Docc, she hides behind you and gets out of the flow.

If I was her size, I would too - Can you imagine your cylinders having a bigger cross section than your body? :wink:

And the viz - Bluewater ( http://www.divealabama.com ) is a central training spot for MANY, MANY people. Most of the area around the 20' platforms, the entire sailboat-bus-box-pipes line, and the route along the near wall to the firetrucks is very mucked up when there are new OW divers in the water.

To see nice viz at Bluewater, you really need to get away from the commonly traveled areas. Thankfully, if you are at least AOW, a nice long swim to the far wall and areas will result in good visibility. Diving during the winter, I've seen the viz closer to 75' on the bottom (well past 130') - No lights needed.

Most times during the winter, you can see the bus from the sailboat - This is easily 60' (probably closer to 80').

Most of the area around the 20' platforms, the entire sailboat-bus-box-pipes line, and the route along the near wall to the firetrucks is very mucked up when there are new OW divers in the water.

To see nice viz at Bluewater, you really need to get away from the commonly traveled areas. Thankfully, if you are at least AOW, a nice long swim to the far wall and areas will result in good visibility.

I 2nd this,

the areas around and between the two docks often do not have good vis compared to the rest of the quarry, but while "snorkeling" with my extra-long fins, the vis is much better around the lesser traveled areas and in the deeper parts. However the thermocline in that quarry is no joke, the temp first starts to drop around 30' but by 60' it gets fridged and can be 50-55 deg the rest of the way down.

I have yet to scuba dive the quarry though(i'm in brocks OW class)

She does have a good advantage :D I would use it too!!

The guy with the tiny white sidemount cylinders and wringing out the scooter was me :D

If I was her size, I would too - Can you imagine your cylinders having a bigger cross section than your body? :wink:

And the viz - Bluewater ( http://www.divealabama.com ) is a central training spot for MANY, MANY people. Most of the area around the 20' platforms, the entire sailboat-bus-box-pipes line, and the route along the near wall to the firetrucks is very mucked up when there are new OW divers in the water.

To see nice viz at Bluewater, you really need to get away from the commonly traveled areas. Thankfully, if you are at least AOW, a nice long swim to the far wall and areas will result in good visibility. Diving during the winter, I've seen the viz closer to 75' on the bottom (well past 130') - No lights needed.

Most times during the winter, you can see the bus from the sailboat - This is easily 60' (probably closer to 80').

http://www.youtube.com/user/whittletime-
This is the link to the Pelham dive we did on Sunday. I am the one with the camo glove. The sailboat and school bus sat in 60+ feet of water. The big metal box was in about 80 feet. The sign we were holding was to promote a scuba diving message board.

I think the sail boat is at 76'+-... the bus I think is slightly deeper.. of course it's been awhile since I've been there, I could be wrong. Refresher next month!

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom