Scalloping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazilio777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am from new england and started diving last year. Can any one help me with the following information?
What are the rules for scaloping?
Are Bay/Sea scallops legal to take?
Is there a size bag limit?
How to measure?

In mass, if your diving in the ocean, there considered sea scallops.
Yes it legal to take... the rules are...
Sea Scallop 3 ½" shell height, daily limit of 1 bushel in shell, or 4 quarts of shucked meats

and they taste delish... Good hunting...

Thank you for your reply, mgctutor, How do you measure height of a scalop? is it different then a diameter ?

Scallop harvest regulations vary widely between states (and even counties). Best to check with your local DNR, or your local tackle shop, Walmart, or anywhere else that fishing licenses are sold should have copies of the regulations. If you are harvesting Bay scallops, you might consider investing in a shop-vac to make the cleaning easier!

Quick example...

Attachments

• gaging.jpg
    gaging.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 110
You can find a lot of information at the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries:

Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries - Recreational Fishing - Regulations

You don't need a license to take scallops but you are limited in the amount you can take each day. We typically go on a charter with Cape Ann Divers out of Gloucester. Two distinct advantages to this operation.

1) They will go out with as few as two divers - if no dive is scheduled they let you pick the spot so call up and find a day that works for you when they have nothing else scheduled. Midweek is best because it can be you and your buddy with exclusive access to the scallop beds.
2) Their captain seems to know the best place to find em. Little tip here, if you spot the guy a few bucks getting ON the boat, you'll end up in a better place and have a bigger hoard.

Enjoy

I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a scallop today!

I just ate a plate of fried scallops for dinner last night and washed them down with some cold beers. Man, they were awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom