Fisherman throws jig at divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Fisherman throws jig at divers, catches one | fisherman, divers, report - News - Northwest Florida Daily News
Fisherman throws jig at divers, catches one
Comments 33 | Recommend 0
August 18, 2009 7:28 AM
Wendy Victora
Daily News

ESCAMBIA COUNTY -- Charges are pending against a fisherman who "intentionally hooked" a diver, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission report.

The dive boat had gotten to the site of a Russian freighter wreck after the fisherman was already set up, the report said.

That angered the fisherman, who threw a jig twice at two divers when they surfaced nearby. On the second cast, he caught one of the diver's wet suit and ripped it on the arm.

The fisherman told the FWC officer that he hadn't been trying to hurt the divers, but wanted them to know they were on his spot.

Uh, the charge should be assault (maybe with the intent to do grievous bodily harm). A felony.

Of course, the way Florida protects fishermen, the diver will likely be charged with damaging the guy's lure.

Of course, the way Florida protects fishermen, the diver will likely be charged with damaging the guy's lure.
I am not familiar with fishermen getting any special protection here in the sunshine state. Do elaborate.

I am not sure that there are any laws against jumping in on a fisherman's spot when they clearly beat you there. It seems poor form on the part of the divers to do so though.
One of the reasons that they are putting many ships so much deeper is so that the divers will leave the poor fisherman on the wrecks (who often contribute heavily to the placing of artificial reefs)
alone.
If I want to hit a particular wreck and when I get there I find fisherman, I generally think it is the best thing to just go elsewhere.
I have made contact with the fishermen and asked if they just got there or even hows it going.
The response is one of four things.
Go ahead diver dudes we are just leaving, we just got here, we are staying a while longer, or sometimes we get the rudeness factor and they ignore us.
This guy clearly while perhaps justifiably annoyed should not be trying to bean the divers with a leaded jig.
I have seen some diving head boats treat some fishermen with real disrespect, and vice versa
I will stay tuned on this one......

Chug

What are the charges? Attempted murder?

only if the divers were black and the fisherman was white (hate crime), otherwise, it'll be a non issue, particularly if the divers were white.

anywho... it would be an interesting study on the effects of diving on fishing. all the times I've been under, doesn't seem to effect the fish; as in 'scare them away'. Sure, fish get out of the way of divers, some even come check us out, but they usually stay in the general vicinity.

If I was the fisherman I would start chumming with everything I had in the boat. I would not want to dive on the spot some one was fishing. However from what I have see, the fish are going to stick around even when we are down there. It might chase the bait and fish in the direction of the lure.

The Russian Freighter is a fairly large site. One fisherman cannot own the entire wreck. Regardless, attempting to kill a human being is wrong, especially over a fish. As to chumming, chum away, I ain't scared of sharks. N

Back
Top Bottom