Rescue course specifics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed

Mindless lemming
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be in agreement that rescue is a good course to take but they never say way. Many people said it is a confidence builder and the skills are worth knowing. I friend is planning on taking the class this summer and asked if I want to take it with him. Unfortunately, I can't get a straight answer from anyone what I'll get out of the course.

How specifically does it build confidence?

What specific skills are covered?

Is there a difference between are there any differences between the PADI, SSI and NAUI courses?

Are their things which aren’t required buy some instructors include?

How does NAUI’s “Advance Rescue” class fit into the picture?

Are their things with aren't include that should be?

Thanks,
Cornfed

I can only speak for PADI, as I have never taken any other agencys' courses.

But, for PADI, you will learn basic life saving skills (CPR, first aid), depending on the instructor, you may be certified to administer O2 (I would ensure this is included).

You will also be taught to recognize and manage stress (the most important rescue skill is to be able to prevent the need for a rescue in the first place.)

You will learn some rescue techniques...the primary objective being finding the victem, and getting out of the water and to medical help.

For more specific specifics, take a look at the different agencys' rescue manuals.

As far as how specifically this couse helps build confidence, you may not feel that you are getting a straight answer because this is just not easy to articulate. For me, I was amazed that I was able to drag a 200lb man out of the water, but I now know that I can. I feel that I would more likely be able to spot a potential problem (stressed diver) than I would have before the course. And I now have a mental checklist of what to do should there be a rescue situation rather than just looking around for someone who might know what to do.

Knowing what it has done for me, I feel much better when my buddies are also rescue certified.

Here are some things I got out of the PADI course...

cornfed once bubbled...

How specifically does it build confidence?
I learned that I can keep my head and respond appropriately to situations on the surface and under water. These included scenarios that were talked about ahead of time as well as "surprise" situations the instructor came up with without warning us in advance.

I also learned that I could, in fact, work through my own "self-rescue" problems in and on the water.

cornfed once bubbled...

What specific skills are covered?
Let's see - I know I'll miss some - but here's a few:
-As mentioned - self-rescue, which basically translated means keeping your cool if you get in a pinch, keep breathing, think through how to fix the problem, then fix it.
-Recognizing stress (Physical and mental)in yourself as well as in other divers and how to deal with it
-I believe first aid, CPR and Oxygen administration is also part of this course, but as a paramedic, my license served as the pre-requisite for this.
More detail was provided on diving related injuries in the course and their treatment.
-Emergency management was covered, which is basically what do you need to do to mitigate the situation and get the victim to definitive care (i.e. hospital ER or hyperbaric chamber).
-Specific techniques for dealing with responsive (primarily paniced) and unresponsive divers on the surface and underwater. These included getting control of the victim and getting them to the surface/back to the boat or shore. Lots of practice involved here.
cornfed once bubbled...

Is there a difference between are there any differences between the PADI, SSI and NAUI courses?

How does NAUI’s “Advance Rescue” class fit into the picture?
As I said - I took PADI's so I can't answer these. Sorry

cornfed once bubbled...

Are their things which aren’t required buy some instructors include?

Are their things with aren't include that should be?
I only had 1 instructor, so I can't tell you if some instructors leave stuff out. It was only a 2-day class, but as I said, my first aid, CPR and O2 administration was already covered. Also, it was expected that the self-study (knowledge reviews) were done ahead of time. This was the case with all of the people in my class, so very little "classroom" review was necessary en route to the dive site.

Hope this helps and I will join the chorus in saying it was a VERY worthwhile class. I'm sure as with any dive instruction, it depends on the instructor conducting the course...

OK, so it CAN be articulated. I've just never been able to do it.

Thanks Snowbear.

the responses you have received pretty much cover most of whats in the rescue courses. There may be details that differ from instructor to instructor but they would be minor. IMHO, its most important to understand and master the concepts of this course than to fixate on minute details.

The NAUI advanced rescue diver course is similar to the PADI rescue course in content. For the NAUI course the is a swimming requirement and recertification is required every three years. I don't if this is also required for the PADI course. Snowbear or Alikat can probably answer that question.

jbd once bubbled...
the responses you have received pretty much cover most of whats in the rescue courses. There may be details that differ from instructor to instructor but they would be minor. IMHO, its most important to understand and master the concepts of this course than to fixate on minute details.

I'm not fixated on minutia.

I'm an EMT so I'm not sure I'll get very much out of the first aid/CPR/O2 section. (Snowbear, do I need to take this portion?)

I'm also a firefighter so I've dealt with a few emergencies. What does the class cover? I'm trying to weigh what new infomation I'll learn.

Everyone says you'll learn how to recognize stress. Well how do they teach that? Does the instructor tell you, "these are the signs off stress..." or do they actually do things to stress you out so you see how you handle it? I'm a firm believer in the later.

I'm somewhat leary of "specialty classes" which IMO barely qualifiy as "nifty classes". And given some of the stellar instructors around me I'm not insterested in buying any more certs.

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

I'm an EMT so I'm not sure I'll get very much out of the first aid/CPR/O2 section. (Snowbear, do I need to take this portion?)

No. First Aid is required for the PADI Rescue class. I think stores just bundle Medic First Response (or Medic First Aid) together because most people do not have First Aid.

Jeff

Diver rescue training normaly consists of lift, tow, rescue breathing and CPR procedures. As a first aider I am taught that heart start with out a defibrillator is unlikely and a non breathing casulty is suffering brain damage after around 3 minutes. So I often wonder if the training is more for the psychological benefit of the rescuer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom