Looking for a Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vabs

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be visiting family in Homestead this weekend with my 9-month old son. I've been promised enough time to head off by myself so that I can take in a few dives. Problem is, I've no dive buddy and will have taken a refresher course tonight.

A little background so you know why this is SO important for me: I'm the sole provider for my son. His "donor"/The soon-to-be-ex-husband is up in Michigan and just started with the support. I do not have family at home (Texas) to help with raising my son. I actually read on the site that several divers held off diving when they became pregnant, so I held off as well. With my situation, it's been about impossible for me to take in a dive. So when my brother wanted to fly us out and promised that I could take time for me and go diving, I jumped at the chance.

Now, I'm just looking to find someone that would be interested in going diving ANYWHERE close to the area. I certified NASDS (OWI) in '85 - did several dives before going off to college. Then, two years ago certified PADI (again, OWI). I've had several night dives and one 100' dive. I'd really be happy just swimming around, taking a few amateur photos and exploring. I have my own gear, just need a tank w/air. Constraint: I can't go so far that I have to stay overnight somewhere away from my son. :)

I'll be in town tomorrow and am interested in diving on Saturday and/or Sunday. One of the dive charters I had contacted that I used Jan. 2008 wanted too much for my "single mom" salary. Please let me know if you're interested and would be available to do this.

Thank you!!!

if you mean homested fla. i'm in florida city/homested..iv'e got a full al 80 you could use?...contact me in a pm ...

I will be watching how you make out Vabs.
Do you have transportation?
I am up here in Northern Broward and we (7 so far) are going out on a 38' private boat for 2-3 tanks.
No matter what happens keep us posted.
Chug

Gndpdr - PM sent. :)

Chug, thank you! I appreciate the well wishes. :) I had to look up where Northern Broward is in relation to Homestead. I'm actually flying into Ft. Lauderdale and the sister-in-law should be picking me up. They've been EXTREMELY kind to set it up so that I can use my brother's car on the day(s) I dive. I just hope my gear FITS! lol

This will be a good chance to "blow off some steam". Have a great weekend! Maybe you could move to Florida?? :D Anyway, enjoy your dive and your time with the family.

NJ to FLA - oh, I'd LOVE it! After my first dive in Largo, I was ready to move. I'm still keeping an eye out on the economy and how things progress with the divorce, but I have a strong feeling it will be on my back burner for some time!

Hey Vabs I will be more than happy to hop a boat with ya this weekend. If your interested let me know and I will get us on a boat. I will also make sure your cost is very very low:wink: Upper Keys close to the 18 mile stretch
Becka

SpearGirl - that sounds pretty cool. I'll send you a PM. :)

Everyone - I just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for helping out. I don't think I could express how much of an honor and a relief it is to be a part of a common interest group (SB) that genuinely wants to share in what has to be the best sport! Thank you again!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom