PC Jetties for Newbies - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwatts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, me and a buddy are thinking about driving down to Panama City EARLY sunday morning to dive the jetties. We've never dove there so we're PC-Jetties virgins.

We would be diving the jetties on Sunday and possibly going out on a boat Monday AM. Then driving back to Atlanta.

Two questions:
1) It looks like there is hardly any tide change (via SaltwaterTides.com). Can we actually dive multiple dives (i.e. - all afternoon) since there is minimal tide change?

2) Does anyone have a write-up for rookies on diving the jetties?

Yes. its the best time to do it if you want to dive all day. Just cross the kiddie pool and take a right when you cross the rocks ( watch other divers do it ) and take your time and look. Go SLOW and look at the rocks, you will be surprised at all the life you see. No need to see how far you can get.

OK, me and a buddy are thinking about driving down to Panama City EARLY sunday morning to dive the jetties. We've never dove there so we're PC-Jetties virgins.

not sure what time you mean by early, but they don't open the gates until 8am. FYI.

2) Does anyone have a write-up for rookies on diving the jetties?

wouldn't call this a "how to" but I've posted a lot of maps and pics in this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/293322-panama-city-jetties.html

not sure what time you mean by early, but they don't open the gates until 8am. FYI.

wouldn't call this a "how to" but I've posted a lot of maps and pics in this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/293322-panama-city-jetties.html

OK, I probably shouldn't have said early. I meant the drive will be early. We'll leave Atlanta around 3AM so we get into PC around 9AM. We'll eat breakfast and head to a dive shop for tanks and a dive flag. It'll be mid-morning before we get to St. Andrews.

By the way, Mike, I've been reading a few of your posts on the jetties...including the one you linked. EXCELLENT stuff! Thanks.

Don't feel like you have to stay on the bottom either. There's lot's to see at 30-40ft, sometimes more than there is to see at 50-60, but don't stay shallower than say 15ft for too long, as there is a bit of boat traffic there, and they don't always appreciate the dive flags.

By the way, Mike, I've been reading a few of your posts on the jetties...including the one you linked. EXCELLENT stuff! Thanks.

:thumb:

Glad it is helpful.

I actually took some more pics of the jetties (from the channel side) this past weekend, to put in that thread, etc. will try to do it over the next couple days before you go.

I meant to stop by and get a map from the guard at the gate and scan it in... but it just didn't work out.

If your not getting to the park till noon, you may want to bring you some shade due to the fact it will be labor day and the park will be pretty crowded. Lots of shops close the the park for tanks and air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom