goliath grouper at the mizpah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Incredible sight in West Palm Beach today: Goliath Grouper congregating everywhere on the Mizpah. At times a dozen to fifteen were just gently swimming and swaying in the very light current next too each other, as if they were schooling. Visibility was not particularly good, but with almost no current, we were able to lay on the sea floor at 80-85 feet next to the Mizpah and simply watch these behemoths swim back and forth in front of us for almost 45 minutes. They remained fairly weary of us, but every once and a while, a fish braver than the rest would, swim over overhead for a bit of a closer look at us. What a magnificent experience.

Unfortunately, with the afternoon cloud cover and poor visibility, most of the photo’s and videos I took did not turn out too well. I will see if I can doctor some of the pictures and post later.

If you can, visit the Mizpah before the huge school of grouper breakup and each member goes its separate way after they are done spawning.

I had heard that the morning dive was a bit better: better vis and a bit more sunlight penetrating to the bottom.

a couple of photos: not too good given the visibility but gives an idea of what we saw

goliath_grouper_next_to_mizpah_sept_4_2009.JPG

goliath_grouper_and_baitfish_at_mizpah_sept_4_2009.JPG

goliath_grouper_3_at_mizpah_sep_4_2009.JPG

goliath_grouper_near_wreckage_of_mizpah_sept_4_2009.JPG

These big fish have been there for years. I haven't been to the Mizpah for years but I still have photos from the Groupers I encountered there. And your photos are pretty neat.

Beautiful! Would love to dive there sometime to see them.
How close did they let you
get?

from what I understand, they are spawning. they acted a bit shy on the afternoon dive and did not let anyone get much closer than 10 or 15 feet, although a couple did slightly closer 'fly-overs' when the divers were lying in the sand. However, some of the morning divers related, when they got off the boat, that the fish had gotten within arms length and one fish had gently bumped a diver and then slowly moved off. the DMs on the AM dive did not believe it was an aggressive move on the part of the fish, more curiosity. There were only 5 divers in the afternoon but 15 divers on the AM dive, maybe that was a different dynamic for the fish or maybe they were becoming sick of the divers by the PM.

I've seen goliath grouper at the mizpah in the past, but only a single fish or in groups of two's or three's. I have never seen a group of 15 (or what the AM divers indicated, a group of 20).

Thnx for the report

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 163
My wife and I met two Goliaths in Largo last June, the largest at least 8 ft long and mouth wider than my elbows holding camera gear relaxed at my sides. My wife patted her side twice as she swam over and back. The smaller one (4 ft) stayed further away. Unfortunately the History channel hyped a show last night that these fish are dangerous predators. I just pray no fool with a spear tries to tag her (spear, injure, kill and waste her), they were docile and less interested in us than we were in them, but a thrill to be near. I will post the pix if I can figure how.

Attachments

• Myron Bloom signed.jpg
    Myron Bloom signed.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 235
September 6th, 2009, was my first real dive since I was certified in august. The first dive was a reef dive that was in 55 feet of water. We went to the Breakers reef and dove there. We were much further off shore than where we were snorkeling the day before. The second dive though was one I will most likely never match again. We dove 86 feet off the corridor wrecks and the Goliath grouper were spawning. There were at least a dozen huge groupers in and around the wreck. The dive team said they were 200 pounds, however after some reading, I believe they were much bigger; thier mouths were as big as my head. The visibility was very good that day and it was phenomenal to see these gentle giants floating around you. I also saw a 4 foot hawksbill Turtle. Unfortunately as I got over excited and I was nervous to begin with, my dive was only 21 minutes. I feel extremely lucky to have witnessed this event.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom