Scary reef abuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItIsMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently returned from dive trip to Key Largo...during diving saw many divers abusing the reef. Divers going down weighted to the degree they sank straight to bottom and spent dive crawling or walking on reef while dive guides allowed or joined in; gauges loosley hanging from gear and dragging the over the reef; divers breaking and handeling the reef - believe I have painted the picture.

I do not want to spend my time writing threads discussing such abuses but rather want to make contact with sources that can assist with facilitating change to the rules and regulations of the marine preserve.

If others have contact information to share, please let me know.

with hanging gauges i dont think its a big deal, I used to let my gauges hang all the time but would never get to where they would hit just because i didnt want to mess them up. handling the reef i would say it depends on the severity, lobstering alot of people tend to bump the reef so some contact is unfortunatly expected. stinks to see people that inconsiderate to where it becomes abusive towards the reef though

Louie,

Thank You for the information.

If I gain momentum or if I am met with resistance, I will be posting my progress.

As ethereal as it sounds - the reefs cannot protect themselves and if I am going to enjoy their presence, I must take ownership.

Thanks again!

change to the rules and regulations of the marine preserve.

The rules are already there.

You're grasping for enforcement.

Enforcement, by the nature of this arena, relies first upon good diving skills and functional awareness.

There isn't a whole lot of that going on in Key Largo.

The rest of the Caribbean is following closely, right behind in that specific area.

Combine more noobs and more commercial development icluding resorts and Cruise Ship docks, the quicker this degradation happens. Key Largo had a fifty year head start. Everyone else is catching up very quickly.

Become qualified to teach buoyancy skills- then figure out a way to make "certified divers" understand that they need the course.

Force dive certification agencies to teach "streamlining" you gauges, tucking them up. Finning techniques.

Be baffled by the indefensible logic of the "I wear gloves but I never touch anything" crowd. Change their minds.

Then we'll worry about enforcing existing and creating more laws.

The reefs around Largo and Islamorada and further up the Florida coast are in bad shape, no doubt. If you are really interested in helping out you can sign up with a reef restoration project. Since I got involved I've realized that these projects only put a bandaid on a serious problem but, at least, it makes you think you are doing something useful. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do about the slobs who are tearing things up. The biggest problem is probably natural and not under our control, but the pollution damage and physical destruction is. Reef destruction and reconstruction has been going on for probably hundreds of millions of years.

Recently returned from dive trip to Key Largo...during diving saw many divers abusing the reef. Divers going down weighted to the degree they sank straight to bottom and spent dive crawling or walking on reef while dive guides allowed or joined in; gauges loosley hanging from gear and dragging the over the reef; divers breaking and handeling the reef - believe I have painted the picture.

I do not want to spend my time writing threads discussing such abuses but rather want to make contact with sources that can assist with facilitating change to the rules and regulations of the marine preserve.

If others have contact information to share, please let me know.

You may want to contact John Halas with the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary to report abuses to the reef.

Here is a link with contact information:

Florida Keys NMS Staff

They are proposing no fishing areas, perhaps they could implement no diving areas. This would allow them to determine how much damage divers cause the reef. If it is determined that divers are a major cause of reef damage, certain reefs could be closed to protect them from the divers.

I'm all for some kind of limit of snorkelers/divers at any given time on a reef in the Keys. We were in Looe Key in May, there were 20 boats (private and diver operators) full of snorkelers/divers dropped onto the reef in a 50 yard area. It was insane. I'll never dive there again for that reason.

Just wanted to use this opportunity to pitch for the International Shoreline Cleanup Day (19th September or thereabouts depending on where you are).

It's a volunteer-based effort organised by Ocean Conservancy - with local cleanups all over the world.

Ocean Conservancy: Home

What happens on land affects the reefs and the creatures that make the reefs their home.

Back
Top Bottom