Thinking of diving Marco Island this week....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ulyssesfreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I am new to diving, having only done one brief dive in mexico many years ago. I have 1 week in Naples florida and am thinking of doing a dive in the Gulf this week...Marco Island.

I am reading all sorts of different reviews on Gulf diving...poor vis...not good for beginners...long boat time (doesn't matter to me).

I have no fears or trepidation about diving…however that could be pure ignorance speaking.

Anyone have any recent data or possible forecast data about diving marco. Should i hit frt lauderdale instead?

Thanks!
Ulysses

You should take a class before doing any diving anywhere.

Hi Walter,
I realize now, i gave off the impression that I was just going to go rent some equipment and jump off the side of a boat...

That is not the case! :)

There are a few places that do a "Dive in a Day" on both the Gulf side and the Atlantic side...so i was thinking of doing a "Dive in a Day" trip this week. However, with all the negative publicity gulf diving receives, I’m concerned I maybe wasting my money and time. I’m up for the challenge, but I maybe to novice to appreciate the Gulf and it’s “pea soup” waters, but “more extreme” diving conditions.

Ultimately I want to learn to scuba dive and this may have to wait till I get back to Toronto as my time here is short...but i wanted to cease this opportunity if it was worth it.

Thanks for the response...any further thoughts that may help?

Cheers,
Ulysses

If you're going to take a resort class, I'd recommend either the east coast around Fort Lauderdale or the upper Keys, with the upper Keys my 1st choice. There is great diving in the Gulf, after you gain some experience.

What do you think the odds of me driving from Naples to FT LD and not getting weathered out (not knowing the proper term, i use this expession to signify...getting there and not being able to dive due to poor weather conditions or any other unforseeable reason...Force-majeure as it were :) ).

Is this time of year a good time or poor time to dive you figure...for the novice diver. I know the more seasoned folks say any day is a good day to dive!

Cheers,
UF

it's good to be a better time of the year to dive the ocean side with the getting less crowded. Just make sure there is no storms out in the water can make for a rough seas. If it's bad in spot you can usually go somewhere else and have great weather..

If you're searching on the web for "Dive in a Day", try other terms like "Discover Diving" or "Resort course" which are the more common terms you'll see. "Discover" is the official PADI name.

Things called "Discover Diving" are sometimes just a pool experience (especially up north), and other times a thing where you get some training and do an actual dive. "Resort course" always means the latter.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom