Miami dive boat/op for Sunday Oct 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Need to head to Miami for work next week. Looking to get some dives in on Sunday.

Any recommendations for a good op? Hope to maybe get two morning and two afternoon dives in.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights!

Ray

There's only one real choice believe it or not in Miami: RJ Diving

These are their dives for Sunday the 18th:
October 18th, Sunday @ 8:30 AM...... The Belcher Barge (60') and a reef
(30')

October 18th, Sunday @ 1:00 PM...... the Biscayne (60') and a reef (30')

(30')

Cool - thanks! Are those sites any good?

PS - where do you find their schedule? Can't seem to locate it on their site.

Cool - thanks! Are those sites any good?

PS - where do you find their schedule? Can't seem to locate it on their site.

I'm on their weekly email list so I get their schedule for the next four weeks.

I tend to dive Miami as night dives mostly (RJ runs a great Wednesday night trip).

The Sunday schedule is decent and fairly basic dives, I dive both sites once or twice a year as a night dive.

The Belcher Barge is part of one of our wreck treks consisting five wrecks that can visited on a single dive (cirle patterned)
Belcher Barge #27 65' depth
This 195-ft steel barge was sunk near Key Biscayne in November 1985 when four explosions opened its corners. The barge turned over on its way to the bottom. Experienced divers can swim inside the entire length, passing through the holes that were cut in the bulkheads; a flash light and safety reel is recommended. The Belzona One, Two & Three tugs and barges are close by and form a wreck trek. Ghostly spotted eagle rays and a large stingray are often resident.

The Biscayne Freighter:
Biscayne 55-60'
The Biscayne was a 120-ft freighter that sat derelict on the Miami River until she was sunk to form an artificial reef in 1974. This is a popular wreck dive because of the breathtaking concentration of fish life constantly moving about its structure. At times, the baitfish schools are so concentrated and immense that they hide the Biscayne from view.

If you have a rental car, you can be in Fort Lauderdale in under an hour and in Key Largo in just over an hour. That opens up dozens of other possibilities.

Last edited:
If you have a rental car, you can be in Fort Lauderdale in under an hour and in Key Largo in just over an hour. That opens up dozens of other possibilities.

Was considering that, but I'm getting in to Miami late Saturday night and have meetings, etc starting Sunday night. Figure diving right there in Miami might not be "as good" as other spots but for one day of diving the logistics/convenience sort of wins out.

Thanks!

(30')

Just spoke to them and they have a private charter in the AM, but are available in the afternoon. Was really hoping for a full day of diving. May need to look elsewhere...

Anyone know anything about "Diver's Paradise" out of Key Biscayne?

We were just in Miami last weekend to dive the Neptune Memorial Reef and used RJ. The boat was packed, but it was extraordinarily well-run; we were all very impressed with the Captain and crew. A lot of the dive shops use their boat as well-there were several groups of new divers on board. The crew put the certified divers towards the stern, so we could get out first and not have to deal with the classes.

They are located at the Miami Beach Marina, so that is pretty convenient.

Frankly, we went to the Belcher Barge and were not all that impressed. I think the reefs/wrecks in Fort Lauderdale might be better--although I am not sure as I have never been there-- for sure it is better in the Florida Keys. Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach is not that far away, either!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom