Replacement of inflator for BC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bullswan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are trying to "coach" 6 kids through the Jr. Open water course and two of the kids come from a single mom household. The birthday came up for one of the boys and the mom scrapped together enough to buy a BC (Seatec Manta) for him. Kid was proud as punch with his "new" equipment at class last night till he jumped in and we discovered a crack in the inflator housing right where the quick connect screws in. Unfixable unless we replace the whole unit. Seatec is no longer (According to my information) so I would like to help this kid out without having to spend a lot. Can't bring it back to the Craigslist seller - they moved with no forwarding address. Is it acceptable to replace it with ANY inflator? Anyone have a cheap solution? I feel bad for the kid and the mom both trying to get into this sport and getting off on the wrong foot with the first purchase. I need ideas.....

Thanks
Greg

Try a local dive shop for a used one or Dive Gear Express for a new one ($33.95). But there are a few different style connectors so you might need a new hose. The one from Dive Gear would be a standard one like a drysuit hose would fit.

You will have to match the corrugated hose diameter. Most use a 1" diameter but there are a few odd balls. Hopefully it uses the standard 626 LPI hose connection so you would be able to use his current LPI hose. As long as connections are standard, it should not be a problem. Shop around and you should ba able to find a used inflator at a reasonable price. Most shops and quite a few divers has a number of them laying around.

as long as the inflator fits the hose, its all good; cut the zip tie, take the pin out connecting the inflator to the wire, reconnect the wire to the new inflator, zip tie it back up.

You can replace it with any inflator but there is a question in my mind about whether you will need to replace the LP hose as well. It's not clear to me that the quick-connect fitting will interchange.

Anyway, here's a 1" valve Sherwood Power Inflator spp-50 with reviews at scuba.com

Why not check with an LDS and see if they have something laying around? Maybe they can work you a deal for the repair.

Richard

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom