Integrated safe second - inflation button stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobp_0002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I always have been Mares fan. When we had to rent equipment before, we always been asking for Mares and never had an issue... until we purchased our own gear...

So we dropped a few $ to get 2 BCs, 2 intergrated safe second, 2 reg, 2 dive computers (integrated)... My wife was actually doing her certification... this when the first problem appeared - during her 1st dive in a new equipment - inflation button got stuck and... before you know it - she is on a surface (thanks god she was not too deep).

Let me tell you... we all know what to do if this happens... however... when you are doing your exercises for the Open Water... yes... you remember... but... After the fact, I tried pushing the inflation button a few times - you can hit it 30-40 times ok but then it gets stuck... and you need to use a finger nail to "un-stuck" it.

Now... because safe second was integrated... she could no longer use her BC and regulator (Mares Abyss metal) and since resort was a Cressi shop... she got to "enjoy" rental gear again. Not to mention - I got an ear full as far as "why did you waste so much money on stuff that brakes right away"...

I had to give up my Mares gear to make her "company" (so I only got to enjoy my gear on 3 dives)... and pay for rental gear since our package included dives with own gear (minus tanks and weights).

Dive trip that we planned for turned out not so good... But wait... there is more... When we came back from the trip, I noticed that my BC has the same issue (I told my wife - this is just a bad luck with your BC, look... mine works just fine... I pushed it - and it got stuck...)

Additionally - my regulator (or 1st stage) was making a whistling noise...

All equipment was purchased from Mares certified shop. All equipment was carefully transported in hard shell cases (BCs) and carry own luggage in soft shell (regs).

I took both BCs back to the shop... Mares did a great job shipping a replacement parts for BCs. However, those parts were to replace a diflator button, not inflator!!!!
Of course shop took its time to replace that too... So couple of weeks later I was called and told that I can pick up BCs.... this is when I actually discovered that wrong buttons were replaced. So both BCs are back in the shop and as far as I know - regulators (second safe) with low pressure hoses were sent over to Mares to be looked at...

Oh... yea... whistling noise... I was told that it was normal since it can do that at very shallow water. When I said "what about 50ft - is it still shallow", shop took it back to look at this again. So I do not have my primary back yet either...

So... Let me ask you all - How often a brand new device, that is crucial to your well being underwater, brakes??? My personal opinion - this is not acceptable when it brakes within 1st dive trip!

Summary:
1. I do not have my dive gear fixed 3 weeks after returning it to the local Mares distributor.
2. I had extra costs associated with rental gear.
3. Dive trip was basically spoiled.

I basically got screwed out of a few $K (equipment plus spoiled dive trip). Now I wonder, when I "just add water" - will my equipment still work?

I always have been Mares fan. When we had to rent equipment before, we always been asking for Mares and never had an issue... until we purchased our own gear...

So we dropped a few $ to get 2 BCs, 2 intergrated safe second, 2 reg, 2 dive computers (integrated)... My wife was actually doing her certification... this when the first problem appeared - during her 1st dive in a new equipment - inflation button got stuck and... before you know it - she is on a surface (thanks god she was not too deep).

Let me tell you... we all know what to do if this happens... however... when you are doing your exercises for the Open Water... yes... you remember... but... After the fact, I tried pushing the inflation button a few times - you can hit it 30-40 times ok but then it gets stuck... and you need to use a finger nail to "un-stuck" it.

Now... because safe second was integrated... she could no longer use her BC and regulator (Mares Abyss metal) and since resort was a Cressi shop... she got to "enjoy" rental gear again. Not to mention - I got an ear full as far as "why did you waste so much money on stuff that brakes right away"...

I had to give up my Mares gear to make her "company" (so I only got to enjoy my gear on 3 dives)... and pay for rental gear since our package included dives with own gear (minus tanks and weights).

Dive trip that we planned for turned out not so good... But wait... there is more... When we came back from the trip, I noticed that my BC has the same issue (I told my wife - this is just a bad luck with your BC, look... mine works just fine... I pushed it - and it got stuck...)

Additionally - my regulator (or 1st stage) was making a whistling noise...

All equipment was purchased from Mares certified shop. All equipment was carefully transported in hard shell cases (BCs) and carry own luggage in soft shell (regs).

I took both BCs back to the shop... Mares did a great job shipping a replacement parts for BCs. However, those parts were to replace a diflator button, not inflator!!!!
Of course shop took its time to replace that too... So couple of weeks later I was called and told that I can pick up BCs.... this is when I actually discovered that wrong buttons were replaced. So both BCs are back in the shop and as far as I know - regulators (second safe) with low pressure hoses were sent over to Mares to be looked at...

Oh... yea... whistling noise... I was told that it was normal since it can do that at very shallow water. When I said "what about 50ft - is it still shallow", shop took it back to look at this again. So I do not have my primary back yet either...

So... Let me ask you all - How often a brand new device, that is crucial to your well being underwater, brakes??? My personal opinion - this is not acceptable when it brakes within 1st dive trip!

Summary:
1. I do not have my dive gear fixed 3 weeks after returning it to the local Mares distributor.
2. I had extra costs associated with rental gear.
3. Dive trip was basically spoiled.

I basically got screwed out of a few $K (equipment plus spoiled dive trip). Now I wonder, when I "just add water" - will my equipment still work?

Wow, man this sucks and I am so glad I didn't get a Mares BC, my Tusa works great!!!

Sorry you had a bad time and got stiffed, I would return, return return if I could.

Mares needs to stop exporting it's gear to crap places for it's build of gear. Charge an arm and a leg for something that should be made in Italy for the price everyone is paying...

And they sure are testing the crap out of the air integration for the Icon computer... They will be the last ones and then new technologies will be out then it will be still crap.

Mares, think long term!

Sorry to hear. I have Mares MR12 Rebel that my daughter and I Have been using for 11 years. (well. me 10 on a pony, and she until I picked up a SP MK 25 G250 V. The Mares is still on my pony.) I also have a Mares computer. Never an issue.

I suppose, sometimes **** happens.

FoxDavis

I do not think this is an issue with the BC... it is however most definitely an issue with the integrated second safe... My wife wanted to have less hoses... so here we go... less hoses less reliable diving...

I just hope that Mares (if anyone from Mares actually reads what's on this board) reads and resolve the issue. If that integrated second safe is not reliable, I would expect Mares to replace it with more reliable solution... I paid extra to get integrated solution!!

Again... before I got my own gear, I always rented Mares equipment and never had an issue... Now of course the level of confidence in Mares is not so high...

One more thing that is really upsetting - there is no way for Mares customer to contact Mares... None... No phone, no email... nothing... Sounds more like - here we go, this is your purchased items, don't bother us.

Of course there is a dealer network... I bought the equipment from a dealer... when the problem came - "I did not hear yet from the regional Mares rep..."

Hi BobP,
First I am sorry to hear of your troubles with your new equipment. I am a little unclear if you purchased the BCD's with "Air trim" or with the "Air Control". Air control is the combo inflator / deflator / octo. Air trim is the inflation / deflation mechanism designed to eliminate the traditional hose over the shoulder inflator / deflator. Either way, they are both considered quite reliable and I have not experienced a problem as you suggest.

As for the service on the equipment, sounds like miscommunication between your dealer and Mares. The buttons for either device are completely different, and unless I'm misunderstanding you, they never should have been assembled incorrectly. Because you purchased new, and it sounds as if it was from an authorized Mares dealer, all products would be covered under warranty. Did the dealer send it to Mares for service or perform this service in house? The dealer has the choice to do either. If you would like to send me a PM, I'll be happy to follow up with you and get your equipment working the way it should.

Unfortunately we can't control the policy of a destination / resort. Although it sounds a little unprofessional to berate a customer regardless of what brand equipment they purchased. In addition, I don't understand why you were required to give up your equipment? If it were my resort, I would have done everything possible to make your trip as enjoyable as possible despite some technical issues. I used to manage a liveaboard dive operation in CA and we would do everything in our capacity to help our customers with their technical issues as you describe, and believe me there were many from all brands and all products. It is the nature of the sport.

Again, send me a pm with specifics and how I can help, and I'll do my best.

Sincerely,

Zak

So I sent pm the same day... And I have not heard anything back... That plus the fact that Mares can not be contacted via email or phone... Confidence level is dropping...

Bob. I am travelling right now and answering from my iPhone is very challenging. I got your message and am still a little confused. If you would like to call me tomorrow I'll be happy to speak with you. If you want to speak with customer service you can find all of our contact info on the website under distributors north America. Sorry for the delay. I'll try to send you my phone in a pm.

I have the exact same problem with my Mares Air Control. Inflator button sticks in the down position. Doesn't seem to have proper spring to push it out. Had this problem since day one (purchased 2 months ago). BCD sometime auto inflates as a result. Also, if air hose is disconnected, BCD won't retain air as it leaks back out the air nipple.

I have the exact same problem with my Mares Air Control. Inflator button sticks in the down position. Doesn't seem to have proper spring to push it out. Had this problem since day one (purchased 2 months ago). BCD sometime auto inflates as a result. Also, if air hose is disconnected, BCD won't retain air as it leaks back out the air nipple.

My issue was resolved after contact with Mares directly (regional guy). Mares replaced the whole piece and we have done quite a bit of diving since then and it was working fine. I think what really matters is who is working on your equipment. Shop I bought equipment from was "Mares reseller" but not a certified repair store. So I wonder if originally they installed it wrong. In any case - I love to "Just add water".

I took my MARES air control in to the local dive shop yesterday to have checked. When I turned on the air, the BC started to fill. After I pushed the fill button a couple times it quit. While diving, I thought that I was underweighted until I noticed that my BC was filling with air. I pushed the fill a couple times and then deflated the BC, but air continued to leak into the BC and I would cork up. I soak all my equipment in fresh water at the conclusion of a dive day. Should I be doing something More?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom